Anyone know about this odd revolver?

VictorLouis

This is the description from one of the 'For Sale' sites:
"In 30 plus years of gun dealing we have never seen one of these, either here in the USA or abroad. This S&W lookalike in .38 Special caliber is in 6 shot version, round butt, diamond grips, with cylinder latch like a Colt detective special and manufactured by Miroku Firearms Mfg. Co. and so marked. Also marked LIBERTY CHIEF on frame, and Japan on butt by serial number. Evidently for export and made after WWII but for export to where? Gun looks very much like a S&W Chief Special and is the same size. Entire gun is blued steel with case colored hammer and trigger. No parts will interchange with S&W. Condition is mint unfired. Obtained from a GI who bought it new in Japan after the war (he was part of the occupying force command)."

I'm pretty certain that the Miroku revolvers are a LOT later than the 1940s/early 1950s. I'm thinking 1960s, minimum.

I recall reading about these years ago in American Rifleman.

Apparently Miroku set up to manufacture guns for Japan's Defense Force and police and tried selling some on the foreign market.

Apparently not too successful.

I can't find my blue book, drat...

SDC

Miroku as been in the gun business for a long time, but they're mainly known for their rifles and shotguns (the Browning Citori, for example). Trying to make and sell handguns to the U.S., though, is a bit like sending coals to Newcastle. :). They still sell handguns to the domestic Japanese police market.

C.R.Sam

In the 60s I had a single bbl trap gun custom built by Miroku. Picked it up bout six weeks after the order was firmed. Was extremely pleased with it and it is now being shot by the third generation of family who has lots of 50 straights and two 198s so far. If their handguns are built like that shotgun, I want one.

Sam