Anyone know about 99's???

Keg

I picked up a Savage 99 carbine in 30-30 recently........It was made in 1935.........
What year did they start drilling and tapping the receivers for scope mounts..from the factory???

PetahW

AFAIK, Savage started D/T Model 99 front receiver ring's for scope mounts in the mid-1950's, or shortly thereafter.

I'm pretty sure that the key identifier would be the placement of the "Model 99" stamping on the front receiver ring.
If the scope mount holes are drilled through the designation, it's a sure bet Savage didn't do it - since the factory moved the stamping to the side with the scope prep start, to avoid defacing their model designation/name.

The rear factory receiver/tang sight prep holes had been in place since the 1940's, IIRC - why the early Stith scope mounts used the peep prep holes for the rear scope mount and an adaptor in the rear sight barrel dovetail for the front scope mount.

My 99% original condition 1953 Model 99-EG has only the rear tang/receiver peep sight prep holes, and a clean front receiver ring.

Last edited:
It varied from model to model, but factory D&T for top mount bases and rings was after World War II.

Prior to that Savage had provided side mounts.

Keg

Ok.........thank yall for the info..........BTW..it has a carbine stock with barrel band and 20 in barrel.......