Anyone here operate a gun store?

gaseousclay

I have a question for anyone that works at or owns a gun store. When you order a firearm for a customer, like a handgun, are you experiencing significant delays getting inventory from the manufacturer or distributor?

I’m asking because I ordered a handgun from my LGS almost a month and a half ago and still haven’t heard anything from them. Full disclosure, I knew beforehand that there was no eta on the gun, but they did ask if I wanted to pay for it right then and there, which I did.

With that said, I have no reason to believe they’re trying to scam me because they’ve been in business for years. I think they said that once my handgun becomes available through their distributor it’ll then get shipped to them. I’m just curious if the backlog is as bad as people might suggest, hence the wait. I’m also uncertain if I should call and bug them since I knew in advance there was no eta. Any suggestions? Should I just buck up and keep waiting, or should I call and ask them if they’ve heard anything?

SaltyPirate

I have a question for anyone that works at or owns a gun store. When you order a firearm for a customer, like a handgun, are you experiencing significant delays getting inventory from the manufacturer or distributor?

I’m asking because I ordered a handgun from my LGS almost a month and a half ago and still haven’t heard anything from them. Full disclosure, I knew beforehand that there was no eta on the gun, but they did ask if I wanted to pay for it right then and there, which I did.

With that said, I have no reason to believe they’re trying to scam me because they’ve been in business for years. I think they said that once my handgun becomes available through their distributor it’ll then get shipped to them. I’m just curious if the backlog is as bad as people might suggest, hence the wait. I’m also uncertain if I should call and bug them since I knew in advance there was no eta. Any suggestions? Should I just buck up and keep waiting, or should I call and ask them if they’ve heard anything?
Most particular firearms are far from hitting the distribution belt.

Even the availability of accessories are severely affected.

I have been in direct contact with both Mossberg & Magpul and they're working as hard as they can with far less staff than what's needed.

Some manufacturers ... there's no linear predictably as to when ...

gaseousclay

Thanks. That’s what I figured. I’m sure the pandemic exacerbated the situation, so staffing will be an issue like you said. I wonder if availability will vary based on your store. Went to a different gun store yesterday and they were jam packed. They also seemed to have quite a few firearms available, but not as much as the big box retailer that I frequent. But, could be this particular store is dealing with a lot of secondhand guns.

Anyway, I’ll just be patient and hold out.

Prof Young

Hmmmm . . . .

Range where I buy most of my guns won't have me pay until they are sure they can get me the gun in short order. It's been a few months since I asked them to try to find anything for me, so I can't really speak to the issue of current delays.

Life is good.
Prof Young