Anyone here hunt pigeons?

12-34hom

When i was a kid, my dad used to take me pigeon hunting, to tune up for Quail & pheasant seasons.

He knew many places to hunt these varmints, such as feedlots, barns, bridges and the like where these birds live and roost.

These birds are fleet and have many a twist and turn in thier flight paths, making them a worthy target for any wingshooter.

We used to play a game, with differing color pigeons were awarded differing points. [The pure white ones were worth the most.] Finding an old barn full of these critters and see who could get to 100 points first. It was great fun, most farmers hate the damm things in thier barns, so finding places to shoot was not a problem.

Anybody else tryed this??? Tell me about it.

A pump 410 - loaded with Winchester high brass - 3 inch - 7 1/2 shot = alot of dead pigeons........ what a blast it was!

12-34hom.

Last edited:

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Never lived in a rural area with pigeons. Now, lots of pigeons in Austintatious. A buddy of mine and I would drive around highway underpasses at night and do in the little doofers with blowguns and darts...

:), Art

goosegunner

Dumpster chickens or not, they are fun to hunt and taste good. I use a old sxs 12ga. with skeet-loads (#9) and .22 short "squirrel-gun" for "long range" (50- 100m) shooting on pigeons on the ground.

A lot of fun, but the neighbors is usulay not very happy when I hunt pigeons 4 in the morning:D