Anyone having a hard time finding ammo or guns?

Josh

Is anyone other than myself having a hard time finding 223 ammo or buying AR15/10 rifles?
I went to my local dealer who told me that Colt is backlogged some 30,000 rifles, Armlite back about 6-8 months (I saw the letter) and Bushmaster is behind 44,000 rifles?
Is it possibly Y2K or our Beloved Pres. Slick Willy or the combination?

Seems to me a similar thing is happening to what occurred in Australia just before all the semi auots were banned. Funny thing happened there was a shortage of 7.62x39(correct ? sks anyway) ammo, don't know why the only guns that used that ammo were going to be banned :). Maybe the alleged shortage of pvc pipe in some country towns(with high ownership of banned guns) was connected to it.
Looks like some people don't trust their government, I wonder why.

------------------
Earn Money and become an affiliate at www.gun-center.com/ezine/affiliate.html

Little-e

You are absolutely correct. I have talked to numerous dealers concerning both AR-15's and shotguns and they all have told me the tremendous backorder is most likely due to Y2K. I ended up going straight to a distributor to get what I was looking for.

Don't quote me on this but one highly respected dealer told me Armalite has already sold more weapons this year than they have in the last three.

According to the press lately, everyone in the US is anti-gun so I wonder who is buying all these weapons?

Rob Pincus

The largest Shooting and shooting related Wholesaler in the country told me last week that IF they got a Truckload of any .223 or 7.62x39 in the morning it would all be out by 3:00pm. He said they had standing orders the day I was there for over 500,000 rounds of .223.

He said that 9mm and .45 was moving almost that fast.

He said the cause was more Y2K angst, but the current wave of anti-gun fever wasn't hurting sales.

------------------
-Essayons

Ed

I haven't bought any ammo lately. I stocked up on Russky 7.62x39 last fall, and I mostly handload my other stuff. So tell me, what is this shortage doing to prices of ammo, as if I didn't know? What and where is the best deal on 7.62x39 and .45 ACP? I had sort of planned to lay in another thousand rounds this summer, but looks as though I may have waited around too long.

I live in North Georgia, so freight might be a factor in the price if it has to ship from the left coast. I'll check back tomorrow to see if anybody has any answers for me. Thanks

N8

I bought 300 rounds of South African Surplus 5.56 NATO for 60$ through midway, it shipped in a couple of days. Not a great deal, but pretty good. It shoots fine.

Prices are definitely going up - Today I traded two high cap 10/22 mags for a brand new tasco Pro-Point sight which would have retailed for 179$...

Willy

Ammo doesn't seem to be a problem. Unfortunately for me I have been monitoring prices on AR-15's and waiting for a good deal. In the last three months I would estimate the pre-ban prices have gone up $300-$350. The post-ban prices are steady but as other posters mentioned, the availability is becoming a problem. Armalite addresses it on their website, admitting they are behind in production. At this point I think I am going to wait until after Y2K and hope for a cool down in the pre-ban market. Maybe I will pick up a post ban if I can find one, and then just have two later on. I talked to a dealer about three months ago that had SP-1's for $750. I passed because I wanted forward assist. Now they are at $1000, minimum. What's the noise Homer Simpson makes... DOOOGH!!!

Mike in VA

Assuming the alarmists are just that, there should be a bunch of good deals on ugly black rifles this time next year. (The Cynical Mike took the day off, it was a beautiful day in the Old Dominion, and at the moment we're getting some nice, gentle rain from underachieving thunderstorms, which we need. I did wash both cars, however, in order to precipitate the precipitataion.)

Back on thread, the last ammo order (CTD, last month)I made took about three weeks to fill.
M2

Rob Pincus

Mike, Unfortunatly I said the same thing in the fall of '93 about Hi-Cap mags and Imported Semi Autos.....

While prices did peak and then come down a little, around the winter of 95, they have since been on a constant rise.

------------------
-Essayons

fubsy

well maybe this will help, at the gun show we had here one week ago there were ar's all over the place and m1a's and garands including two I remember in 308 and one well used looking s/w mdl 19 21/2" barrel......
here are names and address of the business that had the ar's.....
big buck enterprises, inc
ph---706-625-0008
fax---706-625-3923
calhoun ga..
bigbuck@vol.com
they had bushmaster's....$900 total cost this was flattop with handle and ak muzzle brake.......

classic pawn and jewlery inc.
chickamauga 706---375-5360
chattanoga---423--867-5326
they had olympic flatops for $880

these prices are better than anything in my area, and am considering a drive to buy a rifle.....fubsy.

DrJon

Last month I got the last blackhills .223 FMJ and V-Max my local dealer (Oregon) had in stock. Could not even give me case prices anymore because they said they were not sure when they could get more.

Was in the other day and they still had no idea when they would get more .223 in stock. They were even out of the expensive Federal. Just empty space.

Jon...

Bulldog

Guns:

I bought an AR from a dealer at a local show about 3 months ago (Total=~$725).

I bought a Glock 19 and a S&W 442 from a dealer with my tax return money about 2 months ago (Total=~$950).

I bought a Glock 30 from a dealer about 2 weeks ago (Total=~$550).

Every gun show I've been to in the last 3 months has had ARs out the wazoo.

Ammo:

I bought a case of PMC .223 at Cheaper Than Dirt about 3 months ago ($166).

I bought a case of S&B brass case .223 at Cheaper Than Dirt about 1.5 months ago ($169).

In addition to the .223, I've purchased and shot up hundreds and hundreds of rounds of 9mm and .45 (PMC and S&B) over the last few months.

Every time I've been in CTD in the last 3 months, I've had no problem purchasing ammo.

Apparently, price and availability isn't much of a problem around Texas. (I must admit, however, that I think I've been hitting Cheaper Than Dirt at the right times.)

Futo Inu

Let's see, now....The manufacturer's have a shortage of post-ban ARs. Yet they abound at gunshows. Hmmm, the logical explanation seems to be that gun show dealers are snapping them all up to gouge (after marking up) the non-gun-knowledgeable, Y2K-concerned people at gun shows (probably esp. those with a misdeamenor crime or civil VPO order from an ex-SO in their background, who are anticipating not passing a background check at a retail store -thanks to the scum of the earth Frank Lautenberg - this will be even more prevalant, I suspect, now that the feds have recently passed background requirements at gun shows).

[This message has been edited by Futo Inu (edited May 26, 1999).]

Bill Hebert

I've tried to buy 223 and 30 cal jacketed, and 38 lead bullets for reloading and have been told "sorry we're outta stock and don't know when or if we'll be getting any in." That was in 500 lots. I've had to bump up to 1,000 to 2,000 lots to get what I need when I call. It's not a problem for me, but my wife cringes when the bills come in... My son and I now do much more shooting as a result...I guess it worked out for the best but I can't help but wonder what's going on...Where are all the bullets going?