Anyone have the S&W M&P 15-22 A/R yet?

kristop64089

Hey Darth, I'm north of Liberty about 20 minutes, but you are more than welcome to take mine for a spin.
100_1537.jpg

100_1536.jpg

100_1535.jpg

100_1533.jpg

Since these pics were taken, I have added a Solarforce L2, Tasco PDP3, P.O.S. UTG laser(keeps on walking), and an SOG VFG.

It may seem like overkill for a 22, but for one it looks cool(for the kid in me), and it VERY CLOSELY mimics my Daniel Defense AR, so I can get some useful trigger time, as well as having fun.

Since these use many standard AR parts(like the FCG), much of it feels the same. This S&W has a very nice(although a bit heavy) trigger.

Shoot me a PM, and let me know. The invite is open.

Cornhusker77

I looked at one last week, been thinking about getting one for some time now.
The manager told me that the S&W as well as the Colt 22s were crap, said he's had 3 or 4 of the M&Ps come back, and he tried one out and it jammed and even had it fire 2 and 3 shots with one trigger pull.
I passed, but doggone I like the look and feel of those things.
He recommended the Ruger version, but to me it's just a 10-22 in fancy clothes.

kristop64089

The Ruger Is indeed a fancy(expensive) 10-22.

I have at least 550 trouble free, accurate rounds thru mine. I have heard of little failure with these. Maybe that particular dealer got a bad bunch?

ohen cepel

Just bought a S&W, hope to test it out today.

The manual give specific suggestions for ammo to use and ammo to NOT use. I think that may be causing some people problems with them if they don't head their guidance.

I have two of them and think they are a hoot.

They do appear to have a couple of problems, however.

First is the problem with failing to eject properly, resulting is stovepipes and cases getting trapped between the bolt and new round. This is because the ejector is slightly out of alignment and not being in a position to impact the base of the spent case as the extractor pulls it from the barrel. Moving the ejector slightly to impact the spent case fixes the problem.

Second, there is a somewhat common problem of them losing their extractors.

Third, the extractors seem to be getting blown out because of firing out of battery issues with resulting case failure KB. I know of several examples, including my own, where this has happened. In many cases, it is with Remington ammo.

In trying different ammo, I have found that Federal and Winchester bulk packs of ammo from Walmart work very well. Remington bulk ammo, aside from the KB issues, seems to be much less consistent and I would not suggest using it.

On the one gun where this happened, I sent it back to S&W who took care of it just fine. The report back says they brought the gun up to current specs and replaced springs. It has run great since being returned. S&W covered shipping both ways and gave me a new magazine as well.

ohen cepel

Just back from the range. Mine shot 100 rounds for CCI 100% reliable. Had to failures to fire from a box of old Aguila, I think that was an ammo issue though. They were hit plenty hard but didn't ignite.

Shot very tight groups. Just like my M4 in most ways.

I love it! Best money I've spent on a weapon in a long time.

mchris80

Love mine, shot it a good bit for the first time this weekend with no problems. Shot, remingon bulk, CCI Stingers, CCI sub sonic, remington subsonic, winchester bulk and winchester subsonic. Most fun gun I have purchased in a long time.

Departed402

My hunting party and I were on our way to Wyoming for a hunting trip. On our way across the state one of the guys bought an M&P 15-22 at the Cabela’s in Sydney, Nebraska.

Once we filled our antelope tags it was time to plink with the .22s. The guy lets us all take turns with his new 15-22. It felt great, looked great, shot great, and the iron (actually plastic) sights were great! The barrel is long enough that it quiets the bang, especially compared to my Ruger Mark III pistol.

meandthe15-22.jpg

Me with his 15-22

Yes, everything about it was great UNTIL, the owner's son war shooting it. He was outside the shed shooting and this is what we heard: p-tew... p-tew... p-tew... BANG! The bang was the sound of bad news.

None of us had any experience with ARs, but from what we could diagnose the extractor pin had been blown out, a lord knows what else. I don't know what the guy ended up doing (I assume he called S&W and got something worked out). The 2nd day of shooting it, and it fails miserably.

This could be just be extremely bad luck, but it is something to take into account if you want one.

Logs

I just saw the newer version of the Smith 22 with a muzzle break, just cool looking... :) My cousin bought the Smith 22 and I went with the Sig 522. Both ate bulk pack ammo with only three misfires out of 800+ rounds.

Both guns are easy to clean. Just depends on what you like. You can get the Sig for $400 on GB (Northern Firearms) they also carry the Smith just give them a call.. Best price I found on them and fast shipping..

BruceM

If you visit the Blue Smith-Wesson Forum, you'll find that Smith is having problems with the M15-22's. They are limiting what kinds of ammo you should use and they appear to suffer from OOB discharges and blown extractors. I do believe that these are growing pains however. It appears that Smith & Wesson has finally made some revisions to the extractor, magazines, etc.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-long-guns/120271-15-22-new-extractor-pin.html

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-long-guns/120458-new-25-round-15-22-magazine.html

:)

Bruce

Last edited: