Anyone have experiences with 7.62x25 out of a rifle barrel?

ADB

Seems like a good cheap carbine round, particularly given how overpowered it is for being a pistol round. Anyone know the muzzle energy a standard Czech load gets?

Tucker 1371

No direct experience but I think there is a company that makes new PPSh-41 semi-auto carbines, do a gunbroker search.

not me either... but Ialmost bought a cadet martini a couple weeks ago chambered in that caliber... should be a good "fun" rifle about the same as a 30 carbine

fast-eddie

I'd love to get one like the destroyer carbines, it would be a fun little plinker. Theres a company that converts Lee enfileds into 7.62X39 and 54, they also do a 45-70 and 45 acp. I wonder if they could do a 7.62X25?

BobbyT

It's not "overpowered", it's just relatively high velocity for a pistol, with a very light bullet.

An 85gr at 1500-1700 fps from a 4.5" barrel is 450-550 ft-lbs of energy.
If a longer barrel got you to 2000 fps (a guess, but doesn't seem unrealistic), you'd be around 750 ft-lbs, or .357 Mag energy.

Decent trajectory, but still nowhere near rifle energy.

ADB

It's not "overpowered", it's just relatively high velocity for a pistol, with a very light bullet.

Well, by overpowered what I mean is that that it's very hot loaded, with more propellant than can be burned in a short pistol barrel, giving it a large muzzle flash. I'm sure it wouldn't approach a real rifle round for energy, but at under 10 cents a round for milsurp, it would be a damn nice plinking round.

B. Lahey

I think there is a company that makes new PPSh-41 semi-auto carbines

Stay away from Allied Armament. They suck. Bad.

I've heard Wise-Lite makes a better semi-auto PPSh-41, but I've never owned one.

I eventually gave up on pistol-caliber carbines. I had a Kahr/AO Thompson that never ran even after multiple returns, an Allied Armament PPSh-41 that never ran even after multiple returns, both companies were a nightmare to deal with, full of untrustworthy, incompetent numbskulls. And unfortunately, that seems to be the rule rather than the exception for companies that make pistol-caliber carbines.

I had an RRA 9mm AR that sort of worked, most of the time, with original Colt magazines and +P/NATO ammo only, after I sent it back twice. It's pretty sad that that's my best pistol-caliber carbine experience.

Buyer beware. If I were you, I would forget the whole idea.