Anyone have experience with Ghost Sites on pistols?

Rome

Happy Holidays Fellow TFLers!

I've had good success with "ring" or "ghost sites" on my rifles. Since I wear prescription reading glasses, I have a problem with the "head nod syndrome" unless I wear an inexpensive pair if 1.5 reading glasses to shoot with. The gun, then, and regular iron sites are in focus but the target is really fuzzy all the time. But, being able to see the pistol sites is more important. The rifle is the same way except your eye is even closer to the rear iron site and trying to match the blade inbetween the notch is difficult.

While shooting my M1 for the first time, however, I discovered that the peep sites on it are perfect for "less than perfect" eyesite. So I ripped the scope off my SKS and installed a peepsite on it with similar results. Now I'm considering using this peep or ghost site on my Para. Any suggestions?

As usual, any help or information will be greatly apprecaited!

Rome

WESHOOT2

Have optic-rod front / ghost-ring rear on my 1911. Very fast, and very accurate.
Suggest "dot" on front, round ring rear. Ashley Express has real nice 'dots'; recommend a medium-sized one for best balance of rapid acquisition AND decent longer-range accuracy.
Check Dawson Precision http://www.dawsonprecision.com .

jfrancis

Novak makes a half-ghost ring which is pretty neat - important if you shoot in IDPA competition which bans full ghost rings. I have the close vision problem also and do much better with a fiber optic front sight as WESHOOT2 suggested.

The Ashleys are excellent. I have a Standard Dot (as opposed to the Big Dot) set on a Glock 34 and it is near impossible to miss the front sight as the gun comes up.

Bullwinkle

I shot a pair for a couple of thousand rounds and then took them off. For me, with good vision, they were less accurate and not any faster. Several, more senior, shooters where I shoot have switched to GR's permantly with good success on their competetion handguns.

Rome

SENIOR??!!

I can't stand thinking of myself as anywhere near "Senior" status but I guess I'm heading in that direction at age 49 and counting. The only consolation I get from wearing glasses, however, is discovering that my military pilot/brother-in-law/marksman at age 47 is going to need them any time now himself.

I've investigated a number of brands available and am pretty confident that I'll be able to find some for my Para and other "back of the range" pistols. My carry pieces, for closer work, will still remain iron sites.

R