Anyone have experience with Celestron spotting scopes??

std7mag

So I'm looking to upgrade my spotting scope situation.
Alas, I know...

"Good glass cost money, how good do you wanna go?"

Money is freak'n tight!!

I'm looking at the Landscout, Ultima, and Up Close.. Something in the 60mm range.

One of my main considerations is that I frequently go 2+ miles from the truck. Want light weight.

Thanks

Std7mag

Minorcan

Celestron is known for high end astronomical telescopes especially cats and long focal length refractory. Spotting scopes are a sideline for them. I wouldn't go for the ultima. They do make a small cat in the 90-100mm range.

Last edited:

ronl

I repaired one of the Ultimas a few months ago for a friend. I was actually surprised how good the image was for the cost. I would not consider it to be robust, as they are mostly plastic glued together. They are definitely not meant to be repaired. It is light, and if your purpose is to find critters to shoot, it will probably serve you well, that is as long as you don't abuse it too much. Don't think it will pick up .22 bullet holes @ 200 and beyond. Ironically, my spotting scope is an old Celestron C90, and with good lenses it will hold its own with any scope out there.

std7mag

Thanks guys, that's exactly the kind of input I was looking for.

Looking to locate critters especially at a distance. I was looking at the Mini Mak, I think it's the C70.

Not especially worried about water proof, as I'm not going to be using it in the rain. Looking for clarity at long distances, light weight.

For example,
Evening before last archery season started, I was watching a gas line. 30 yards, wide, miles long. Saw some deer out about where my tree stand was set up. 1160 yards. Range finder miraculously picked up the deer, and gave me a reading. :eek:
I could tell one was a decent sized buck, but could tell nothing else about it with the Simmons I now own.