anyone have any opinions on the NRA basic pistol class

horatioo

I just bought a Glock 19. I know a little about shooting pistols but want to know a lot more.

Thanks for any opinions.

DieHard06

It is a great class depending on your teacher. My first gun was a Glock 19 as well. That just happened to be my teacher's main CCW so that was great. You learn a lot about how to shoot, grip, stance, calibers, safety rules, different kinds of guns, and more. I thought I knew a lot especially after hanging out on this board for a couple of months beforehand, but I ended up learning a lot. Plus, it can help you get concealed carry permits in some states. I highly recommend it.

Laker

You being new to handguns, I feel it is a must do. Everyone should take at the least the NRA basic course. Should you someday want to get your CHL it is required.

ejfalvo

I'd been for a few years before I took the class. It was worth it - confirmation of what I was doing right, correction of what I was doing wrong.

Went for and was certified as an NRA Pitsol Instructor.

orchidhunter

Any class you take or any school you go to, is only as good as the caliber of the instructors. I have seen alot of firearms instructors, but very few firearms teachers. orchidhunter

CortJestir

Mine was a good class - learned a ton and got to shoot both a revolver and an autoloader. I'd agree that it depends on the instructor. In my case, the instructor was (is) a good friend of mine so that made it all the better.

Hkmp5sd

Yep, the class is worth it. However, don't stop there. Take some shooting classes. The more training you receive, the better.

coondogger

I took the basic NRA pistol course twenty-two years ago. Nearly all of what I learned has, to this day, stayed with me. In my opinion, it's one of the most worthwhile firearms-related courses you can take.

MADISON

NRA basic pistol class

NRA basic pistol class
I have been shooting since 1959.
When Virginia law said you had to have a CCW to have a gun in your vehicle I took the NRA basic pistol class, no shoot class. It was a very good class for the beginner and a refresher for me.

I think it's a great start, but I definitely wouldn't stop there. IMHO, the class is a bit dated. For one that's just getting started it's worthwhile taking. When you're ready to take that next step, let us know. There's quite a few courses out there that will advance you to the next level.

drail

It is a very good start for people with little or no knowlesge of pistols (or any kind of firearms). The main focus is on safe gunhandling and justifiable use of lethal force. When I took the instructor's course we were told to delete entire pages of the textbook simply because some of the info was so dated. The book we had actually taught the correct method for the "cup and saucer" hold. But you will learn good stuff that you will retain. If someone is totally new to handgunning is is worthwhile. Most of our classes were women and it was interesting to hear the majority of them state that they wanted to learn basic pistol skills but NOT from their husband/boyfriend. I can certainly understand why after seeing a lot of men trying to teach their S/O gunhandling their way. Usually they weren't speaking to each other when they left.

chris in va

Depends on who teaches it, and how much extra personal BS they throw in.

Definitely take it though so you'll learn not to do some really stupid things you otherwise wouldn't know about.

oldkim

For a good basic class that cover's a lot...

The Basic Pistol course covers a wide area of topics.

Safety is first, bullet calibers, actions types, shooting positions and of course the fundamentals of shooting - basic marksmanship.

This is at least a 10 hour class and NRA has this pretty well down. Each section is covered in various ways as everyone learns differently. It's very hands on and lots of class work but a very good course for any new gun owner.

One think I like to mention it only deals with about 1-2 hours of actual range time (some instructors may do longer but this will add to the overall course time).

So for you shooters wanting more range time - figure this. Ammo is expensive and hard to find these days. Learn the right way and you can make those shots count from an early start.

Otherwise, spend a lot of money and time to learn what you could of from an instructor.