Anyone have any experience with a Marlin XL7?

Big Bill

Anyone have any experience with a Marlin XL7? I'm thinking of getting one in .270 caliber. I can buy one for $311.99.

Seems like I've read of people getting them for right around $300. However, from what I've read it's all been positive. Supposedly they are very accurate in stock form and just great guns for the price. I've looked at one and really considered it. I really was impressed. However, I decided I like the Savage a little more but that's just personal taste. They both seem to be great guns. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one but at the same time I'd also look at the Savage in that price range. You can get a Stevens 200 for around that price but not as good of a trigger. Or for slightly more you can get a Savage with the accu trigger for $400 or so at Walmart with a cheap Simmons scope. The Marlin seems to have a trigger very similar to the accu trigger and be cheaper too so that's a plus for it.

Big Bill

Home - thanks for the suggestions. I already have a Savage in anoher caliber. But, right now, I just want a 270. And, if it's as good as my other Marlins: I'll be very happy.

http://gunblast.com/Marlin-XL7.htm

There is an article about them. Like I said I wouldn't hesitate to buy one as I've read a fair amount about them and haven't seen any complaints yet. I'm still not sure why I didn't buy the one I looked at. I guess I just didn't need it. I may still end up with it someday I'm not sure.

My only thing I could even think about it that I didn't like is the same company that owns Remington owns Marlin now. I'm not at all a Remington fan if it was made in the last 10 years or so as they seem to really have a lot of quality control issues. Now this kind of worries me about Marlin but so far I haven't read of any issues in the quality department. I wouldn't worry about it yet and I hope they keep producing quality rifles. Hopefully we never have to worry about if we are getting quality when we buy a Marlin.

Huffmanite

Big Bill, I bought a 25-06 XL7 about a year ago for $319 (+tax). If I had bought a 270 or 30-06, price would have been $289, but they were the weekly special.

I looked at the Stevens 200, Mossberg ATR and Savage, but decided on the XL after reading many positive posts about it.

I'm pleased with my XL. It is accurate. I'm not a fan of plastic rifle stocks, prefer wood, but the stock fits me well, has a nice recoil pad. I did find a small improvement in accuracy when I used some sandpaper to remove the two contact points in the barrel channel of muzzle end of the stock. Did this after reading a few posts elsewhere on other gunsites by XL owners who had done it, improving accuracy of their XLs. You will love the adjustable trigger on it and bolt is very smooth when chambering, unchambering a round.

Big Bill

Thanks you guys, I'm getting jacked now. I like synthetic stocks because they resist the weather a little better.

I was talking to my gun guy today and he said they had to send back some Marlin 336Ws because the loading gate cover broke almost as soon as the customers got them home.

I was wondering about the quality of Remington today. I was looking at a new 700 that looked good and the price was right, but???