Anyone have a source for

UltimaSE

Colt parts? I'm specifically looking for a crane for the colt king cobra in .357 stainless.

A few weeks ago I sent my sig 220 and my girlfriend's king cobra out to Tom novak to get some trigger work. While it was there Tom found that there seemed to be a lot play in the cylinder. When he took at look at the crane and measured it he found that it was 7 thousandths of an inch off spec. He believes that there was no work done on the crane, and that this is how the king cobra left colt.

He's looked through all his sources for this part and can't find a crane. He's also called up colt who has told him that I would have to send the gun to him to have the crane fitted by a gunsmith, when he remarked that he was a gunsmith, they told him it would have to be fitted by a "colt" gunsmith.

I will be contacting brownells probably tomarrow and colt as well, but baring that they change their minds does anyone know of anyone that has some colt parts?

Thanks in advance,
UltimaSE

bfoster

Pittsburgh Handguns is a relatively small operation that has many more Colt parts than most. Tel: 412-766-6100.
Your 'smith may have to order the parts for you. To the best of my knowledge this firm sells to FFL holders only.

Bob

hitnthexring

Ultima, please accept my deepest sympathies for your unfortunate purchase of a Colt. They have been making JUNK for quite a while now. That's why they filed Chapter 11, & got out of the civilian gun business some time ago.

Chuck McDonald

Colt's Parts

Have you tried Colt's?

Their new CEO was interviewed recently and said they wanted to be agressive in the parts business... so it might be worth while to give them a call.

FWIW

Chuck

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
hitnthexring,

...got out of the civilian gun business some time ago.

Sorry, but that's a myth. Colt never "got out of the civilian gun business". They did discontinue everything but the XSE series, the Cowboy, and the Model P, due to a serious hemorrhage of red ink, but have since reintroduced the Python and Anaconda (albeit as Custom Shop guns) as well as the standard 1991A1 series.

You say you worked at a gun store, so you should have gotten the letters from Colt's explaining all this.

UltimaSE

Ok called jack's no luck.

Called colt, basically refused to give me a quote on the crane assembly replacement. Told me that I had to send in the gun so they could take a look at it and then send me a estimate. Am I being paranoid, or does it make sense for me not to want to ship a gun without having to know about how much the bill will be? The rep would tell me however I'd be buying the entire assembly as in the crane and the cylinder so that itself would be $140+.

When I mentioned that my smith believed that the crane was undersized to begin with they told me that that would be a decision that had to be made by the product quality department. When I asked to talk to them, I was told that they are not reachable to my gunsmith or me.

UltimaSE

bfoster

Ultima SE,

Do follow MrGreenMachine's suggestion and contact Gary Thiry. He too has a lot of Colt Parts.

Colt cranes are almost never a "drop in" part, your 'smith will have to do some minor fitting. FWIW, since Carol Valencort left the Colt parts department a few years back I haven't heard of anyone that has been able to purchase the individual parts of the cylinder/crane subassembly (for any of the D.A. revolvers) from Colt. Perhaps this is now Colt policy.

I used to be able to purchase cylinder & star pairs for the 44 Anaconda with an unfinished front boss. I'd rechamber them to 45 Colt, then fit and time these cylinders to existing 45 Colt Anaconda revolvers. This was done because every 45 Colt Anaconda I've seen has oversize (0.456-0.458") chamber mouths.

Bob

UltimaSE

bfoster,

I was wondering if you had any ideas if there was anyone that had any cranes. Or maybe if you might have an extra one. So far no luck anywhere, and my gf is starting to wonder if she's ever going to get the king cobra back.

Sigh.

I'm even willing to ask this. Anyone know of any junked king cobras? I might be willing to purchase one that is missing some parts to just get the crane.

Thanks in advance again,
UltimaSE