Anyone have a Madsen

BlueTrain

I'm just asking out of curiosity, mainly because it is the only unusual machine gun I've ever laid hands on, even if it was de-milled. Also, it is the most unusual machine gun I've ever seen in a movie, which was a 1960s Danish monster movie. The movie also had a good scene at Tivoli Gardens but there was no shooting or monster.

For a gun that was in use for so long in so many places and in so many different calibers, it seems to be rarely mentioned anywhere. On the other hand, it may not have been produced in very large numbers either. But the one I got to examine was hardly new in the box and in fact there was no box.

BlueTrain

The light machine gun. Sorry but if you've got a submachine gun, this is a good time to talk about it.

Did not S&W make a copy of that submachine gun, by the way? The Model 76 or something like that (this is entirely from memory).

gyvel

Did not S&W make a copy of that submachine gun, by the way? The Model 76 or something like that (this is entirely from memory).

Not really. There is only a very slight superficial resemblance in the layout.

The Madsen sub is a unique design, having a very innovative "clamshell" receiver. Once the barrel nut is removed, the receiver, which is hinged in the rear, opens up like a clamshell to expose all the internal components.

The Smith, on the other hand, is a traditional tube design, and is more or less based on the Swedish K. (I think the K is also known as the Garl Gustav.)

Last edited:

SPEMack618

The "Swedish K", produced by the Carl Gustaw company, designated the M45, was a 9mm SMG. It was very popular with Special Operations types in Vietnam, but the Swedish ceased importation of it because they opposed the American invovlement in Vietnam, leading S&W to manufacture the 76, which was a copy, but superior in a few regards.