Anyone have a Kirst .45 ACP cylinder?

IDAHOMIKE

Was wondering if any of you folks that have one of these would mind sharing som basic info about what sort of loads you use in it? Traded into one, and wondering about others opinions on what I shoukld be stuffing it with. Thanks!

taurusbob

I have a Ruger old army 7 1 /2" with a Kirst 45 acp in it.
White box Winchester 230 grain JHP........muzzle velocity 880 fps.
White box 230 FMJ....muzzle 835 fps.
Remington gold saber ammunition 230 JHP......875 fps.

I find all three highly accurate at 25 and 35 yds.

noelf2

My preference is 45 Colt because I already reload for it and it's period correct for the guns I shoot.

IDAHOMIKE

This is my first go with a conversion cylinder. I traded into it, fella I traded with was unaware that it was an ACP cylinder as he had ordered a Colt cylinder and this one was NIB. If I were buying one new, I would probably buy it in 45 Colt. I have some sedate reloads that I use in my Smith 1917, so I tried those and the accuracy is quite impressive, even shoots to the sights. I could see where being able to use generic FMJ rounds would be fairly inexpensive. I was also wondering if it is alright to shoot jacketed bullets through an Italian repro?

TomADC

Trail Boss does list some nice loads for the 45 acp. But I'd think light loads with Bullseye would be just fine.
I don't plan on shooting any jacketed bullets thru mine.

hoof hearted

I'd buy some of Adirondak Jack's "45 Cowboy Special" brass and load it like a short 45 Colt. There is lots of info located here:

http://cowboy45special.com/cowboy45brass.html

The Kirst 45 acp chamber is cut to headspace on the mouth of the cartridge and the specs allow for use of this brass as well as 45acp.

This round loaded correctly is a ballistic duplicate for the original Remington conversion round, 46 rimfire!