Anyone have a Kimber Solo that works?

HighValleyRanch

I have a friend who is selling his. I hear all these stories about malfuntions, but does anyone have anything good to say about them?
I like the feel and looks, the ergonomics, but want reliability for my carry gun.

I know about the ammo weight issue, and he had problems with premature slide lock, but found out it was because he didn't have the spring engaged correctly, and that fixed it. He went on to a Kimber Micro.

David R

Go to Kimber talk and read the warning at the top of the Solo page. Then read some of the stuff.

I have a Micro 9. Wife has Micro carry.

I also have a Sig P 238.

Look up David R. and see the problems w I had with the Micro 9.

Dsvid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rt11002003

I had one for about a year. At first it seemed reliable using ammo recommended by Kimber. I didn't shoot it much, just enough to feel comfortable with it, then it started malfunctioning. Finally gave up on it. Bought a Micro9. it has been great, except for the trigger pull. Much force needed for my taste. Bought a SIG p365. Great little pistol.

Catchabullet

I always felt bad when I had to sell one to a customer.. try talking them out of them but then they get mad. I’ve never seen one be reliable enough to depend ones life on it.

Jbar4Ranch

I bought one in 2015, and it wouldn't make it through an entire magazine with ANYTHING, even the recommended loads on Kimber's site. After a couple weeks, I bought a Kahr CM9 for almost half the price, and can't make it fail. I tossed the Kimber in the safe and forgot about it, then early last year, I came across it, called Kimber, they sent out a call tag, I sent it in, and they replaced the frame *under warranty* as being "out of tolerance". So far, it's worked fine.

silvermane_1

Mine still shoots fine using the ammo Kimber recommends.
The thing is this is the 21st century, and any M1911 "patterned" pistol should be able to shoot every bullet type, not just what the manufacturer "suggests", now I'm talking about bullet type i.e. JHP, FMJ, LRN, LSWC ect., I not refering to sub-sonic and/or +P ammo. To expect anything less is poor QA/craftmanship and is shoddy/inferior pruduct :-|

Patsy4fingers

Mine is a POS, even after one trip back to Kimber. Too many issues to list. Too bad because it feels so good in my hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snuffy308

Once again, I shoot what the manufacturer recommends. No problem with the gun. I knew that going in. I have no bitch. It's a great shooter.

denster

I have owned three and still have one. All have been reliable with no problems. You have to understand the gun. It is built to very close specs and you have only .040 travel left after the slide face clears the rear of the magazine. This means no limp wristing and a significant recoil impulse to be reliable. You can use bulk 9mm115gr for cheap practice and it will work most of the time. You can use Speer Lawman 124gr ball for practice and most any premium 124gr defensive ammo and it will work all the time every time.

HighValleyRanch

Well, I've been testing his solo with various ammo down in the field. At least two jams every magazine! At least one or two double feed jams each magazine, no matter what the ammo
Looks like the top round in the magazine is binding the exiting round so that it doesn't extract. Maybe I should try squeezing the top of the magazine lips closer so the top round doesn't angle up so much.
Not limp wristing, that's for sure, and gun is solid in hand.
Too bad, I want to like this beauty so much.
My Kahr PM9 is flawless, and they are close to the same size. The solo feels smaller because it is more rounded on the edges.

jonnyc

I work with a guy who has 2 of them that he carries. Between the Solos and his shooting skills, I hope he doesn't have to back any of my plays!
Hey, YOLO.

HighValleyRanch

Did manage to get it running without malfunctions with some Fiocchi 147 grain HP's. Noticed that the brass was throw quite further. Limited testing however, that stuff ain't cheap.

Auto5

Mine works most times. It had to go back to Kimber for a complete top end rebuild. Worked fine for awhile, then I had a string of FTF at the range. Tore it apart, replaced the recoil spring, switched to 147 gr. ammo exclusively and it seems good, but I carry a P365 now because I just can't trust it.

dgludwig

I carry a P365 now because I just can't trust it.

No matter the brand, type, accuracy, configuration or caliber, if a pistol being carried for self-defense can't be counted on to be as reliable as possible, it would be foolish to trust it. Furthermore, I don't trust any pistol being employed for self-defense if it is all that "sensitive" to the type of ammunition being used or is known for failing when being "limp-wristed". The store may not carry the exact ammunition prescribed as being necessary for reliability for a particular pistol and we can't always be certain that a good purchase on the grip of a gun can be obtained in every circumstance.
All good reasons perhaps why revolvers are becoming more popular with people for edc...:eek:

jonnyc

"Mine works most times. It had to go back to Kimber for a complete top end rebuild. Worked fine for awhile, then I had a string of FTF at the range. Tore it apart, replaced the recoil spring, switched to 147 gr. ammo exclusively and it seems good, but I carry a P365 now because I just can't trust it."

Oh that's just too funny!

TunnelRat

No matter the brand, type, accuracy, configuration or caliber, if a pistol being carried for self-defense can't be counted on to be as reliable as possible, it would be foolish to trust it. Furthermore, I don't trust any pistol being employed for self-defense if it is all that "sensitive" to the type of ammunition being used or is known for failing when being "limp-wristed". The store may not carry the exact ammunition prescribed as being necessary for reliability for a particular pistol and we can't always be certain that a good purchase on the grip of a gun can be obtained in every circumstance.

All good reasons perhaps why revolvers are becoming more popular with people for edc...:eek:

Do you have data to back that last claim up?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

dgludwig

Do you have data to back that last claim up?

All I have is what I've read over the last several years and the opinion I've formed from same. The increasing popularity of Smith J-frame and Ruger LCR revolvers would seem to back my "claim" up. Too, many insiders have attributed Kimber's and Colt's successful introductions of new smaller revolvers (the K6 and Cobra/King Cobra respectively) to the increasing popularity of revolvers being used for carrying a handgun concealed.

If you're interested in getting empirical data as to the actual numbers sold in terms of comparisons, I'm not privy to the industry sources you'll have to consult for yourself.

TunnelRat

I just haven't seen anything personally to back that up. Certainly those pistols are popular, but moreso than years passed? Idk. I'm also not sure it's a function of people collectively deciding semiautos are less reliable, or at least less reliable than they've been in years passed.

As for Kimber and Colt, I'd be curious as to sales figures. Part of me thinks people pick those up because they're bored of a market full of polymer framed striker fired semiautos. I've never seen what those really offered over the options from S&W that have been there for decades now. Poor Colt seems to be trying anything to not go bankrupt again and appealing to their revolver fans seems the best bet as their semiautos pistols, that aren't 1911s, fizzled years ago.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rob228

All good reasons perhaps why revolvers are becoming more popular with people for edc.
I had a S&W J-frame bind up in what would have been a catastrophic malfunction had it not happened while I was dry-firing. I was cycling about 120 miles a week and it was in a pocket holster in my riding jersey back pocket. My sweat turned the lithium grease inside the frame to paste.

Nothing like that ever happened to my Glock 26, and its a heck of a lot easier to clean the guts of a Glock than the guts of a J-frame.