Anyone Have A Favorite 38-55 Load?

j.chappell

I have a 38-55 that I would like to load for. I have everything I need but I just thought I'd ask for a little information. Smokeless and blackpowder loads are all welcome.

The firearm it is chambered in is the H&R Target Rifle.

Thanks

J.

publius

Sorry, guys, it's 6am and I finally gave up on sleeping therefore am making alot of useless posts:eek:. So to continue in my folly, Mississippi started allowing us to use single shot smokeless rifles of 38 cal or greater for muzzleloader season a couple of years ago:confused: Whoopee, now I am justified in getting a 38-55. Well, some jerk who actually knew something about guns told them it wasn't 38 cal of course the next year:mad: again my plans are foiled.

j.chappell

publius,

Boy, I'll tell ya, the things that do and don’t happen to sportsmen.

I don’t really know who ever decided it was "sporting" to use any smokeless rifle during a muzzleloader season but since they did they should at least get the allowed calibers correct.

So what do they actually consider a 38 caliber rifle, a .38 special or 357 magnum that shoots a .358" bullet? Seeing as the 38 in 38 special derived from the case size and not the bullet, I'm pretty sure that’s how it was. Seems silly to me when a 38-55 shoots a .375"-.380" bullet, the 38-55 is a 38 caliber.