anyone familiar with a Girsan MC1911S-G2 .45 cal

ttarp

Most folks shy away from these I think because they're Turkish built, I haven't run across many reviews of them. I'd give preference to the Philippine manufactures simply because they've been around for a while, a known quality if you will.

DA/SA Fan

I don't think you can go wrong if you get one from Bud's. They have a great rating and guarantee over there. I have no problems with Turkish guns. They make some really nice ones.

KyJim

I read one post somewhere that the gun is dimensionally correct, but converted to the metric system. For example, grip screws/bushings are metric. I cannot confirm that, however.

There's another Turkish 1911, the Tisas. I'm confused by seeing two Turkish brands showing up basically at the same time, and I have no idea if they are different brands, or the same pistol with two different names.

smoker420

Stoger is also built in turkey on old Beretta tooling have 8045 and has been flawless for over 1000 rds was looking at girsan 45 at another lgs and just liked stoger better already have 2 1911 pistols wanted something different very good quality.

Walt Sherrill

Most folks shy away from these I think because they're Turkish built, I haven't run across many reviews of them. I'd give preference to the Philippine manufactures simply because they've been around for a while, a known quality if you will.

Philippine-made guns HAVE been around for a while, but their reputation hasn't always been what it is today.

Turkish-made guns have had pretty good reputation from the first. At least one or two of those gun makers have been making Tanfoglio-based CZ-pattern versions of the CZ for the Turkish military since the early 90s... You'll see lots of testimonials on forums like this for these guns, but not reviews in gun mags -- as reader interest in these "bargain" guns iis arguably not as great as reviews of other new "brand-name" guns with new design features. I suspect you won't see the gun mags paying a lot of attention to any gunmaker who isn't a potential advertiser in their pages (hi-end 1911s being a possible exception. Example: Kel-Tec sells more guns than all but two other U.S. makers, but only advertizes a little. You don't see many reviews of their weapons.

The bigger issue will be customer-service and parts -- as some of these guns aren't TRUE clones of the CZ or Tanfoglio guns. If the company has been around for a while, you're probably good to go -- but if I were going to buy one I'd check into user comments about QC and customer service.

Last edited: