Anyone ever wear out that little notch on the M16 AR15?

Lavid2002

I know there are guys that shoot their AR's 1,000X more than I shoot mine. Looking at the little notch where the charging handle latch clings onto the upper....seems like min already has rounded corners...its only aluminum. Has anyone ever worn theirs out?

Technosavant

Never heard of it being an issue. New upper receivers aren't that expensive; $85 tops, and it takes about half an hour or so to swap the barrel over if you have the vise block and barrel wrench.

kraigwy

I have never heard of one "wearing out" and I've seen some shot out, abused ARs.

I'm assuming you are talking about the notch that holds the charging handle latch.

Scorch

Ah, the dreaded "latch notch glitch", the bane of infantrymen around the globe! It is easily repaired by the "latch notch glitch patch", which is available in a kit, which comes in a box. Yes, you guessed it, it's the latch notch glitch fix patch kit box.

See? I knew reading all that Dr Seuss would come in handy one day!!

billfrombyron

I can tell you its fun to watch someone pin the charging handle to the open position and watch the same idiot that did it looking for a tactical advantage hit him self with it in the eye.

I have seen some rattle trap M16s while I was in the Army and they still were not worn out.

-Bill

MikeGoob

I have wondered the same thing. I haven't fired 1000's of rounds yet from my AR but it does look like a part that would wear down easily. Yes the part where the charging handle grips the upper.

10-96

Yeah, but that isn't so bueno when slung-in prone or when chasing a yote across ranchland on the move from the cab of a truck.:D

Lavid2002

I will give you that being slung up it SUCKS

yeah but if you can rack it from the right side you can put your finger on the other side or rack it

or leave it with a full chamber on safe- get an ambi safety

or leave it with mag in bolt open close the bolt

Read something today military is re designing the M16 platform to make ambidextrous controls for all the M16's by 2012