anyone ever seen wood inserts for the older Ruger Composite stocks ???

I have an older Ruger model 77 with the olive plastic inserts, & right now it's hanging on a rack with several other wood stocked rifles...

I think it would look like it belonged there better if I had some wood inserts... I think I've seen them before but have no idea where...

any thoughts ???

Spent some time searching, & Gun Parts Corp has both fore end & grip inserts ( factory Ruger parts ) for sale on E-bay...

wondering if anyone is aware of fancier wood or rose laminate ( for example ) being made by anyone ???

Thanks for the links... I tried PMing the maker of the fancy ones on that forum...

Gun Parts Corp is still selling original Ruger ones on E-bay... my only concern there, ( other than they are pretty plain ) is they sell them individually left / right, fore end / grip, & I see quite a bit of variation in the pics, if I had to buy 4 individual pieces, I'd want a set that reasonably match each other...

thanks for trying... yep same guy...

they don't look that tough to make ( could even use my plastic inserts for templates ) I'd just guess that the numbers are low enough to keep someone like one of the bigger grip makers from making them...

I did respond to Gun Parts Corp on E-bay & they have many, & did say they could put together a nicer matching set, & combine shipping... still would like to find a nicer looking set like those in the now deleted post, before I commit to the factory left overs

PetahW

Lett Grips, of New Hampshire, used to make the wood replacement inserts for the Ruger canoe paddle stocks, as well as all the grips for Ruger's.

(the owner was a friend of Bill Ruger)

After Lett passed away, the company folded - so you'll either have to find a used set or make up some inserts yourself (not all that hard to do - BT, DT :cool: ).

The guy from the Ruger forum e-mailed me last night... he has 2 sets... one of the Cocobolo, & one set of black line spalted maple, that he didn't have any pictures of yet...

so... looks like I've found a fancy wood set... just need to decide... the Cocobolo set looks awesome, but does end up a bit dark, on the black composite stock, so I'm hoping I like the looks of the spalted, & that over all it'll lighten up the look a little ???

PetahW

Buy them both - that way you can switch them out, per your whim; or choose one set & resell the other.

I doubt you'll lose, unless the seller thinks there's priceless.

so... what do you guys think of these ???

attachment.php

Attachments

• maple inserts.jpg
    maple inserts.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 249

csmsss

Well...at the end of the day it's YOUR rifle and the only opinion that matters belongs to you and you alone. Do you like the inserts?