Anyone ever SCORCH a handgun stock?

Pahoo

Stocks, Ramrods and knife handles

Anyone ever SCORCH a handgun stock?
Only M/L's, RamRods and knife handles. In order to get the effect you want, you have to pick the right grain. I don't think I'd ever do a tight grain, like BlackWalnut. Also, you don't have to scorch to black. Tan to light brown is fine.

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:

gwpercle

Handgun stocks don't give you a lot of room to work with .
My thoughts are it will look like a patch / or streak of burned wood .
If done with a tiny flame ... might look okay ... but I would use wood stain and an artists brush to simulate a grain ... but it will take an artists touch to give wood a realistic faux wood finish .
I have never cared for the color that flamed wood leaves on furniture ... it looks burned .

Possibly I've never seen a properly done job on grips ... Let us know how it turns out .
Gary

Pahoo

A time and place ???

Personally, I think it looks amateurish.
On modern "Stuff" I have to agree and that is why I limit this application on "some" M/L stuff. Buckskinners have been doing this, for years. ..... :)

Be Safe !!!

stinkeypete

It seems lazy to me.

With any kind of wood, there is a stain and a finish that will bring out the natural beauty in wood. It just takes a lot of time and hand rubbing. A fella could have the grips checkered. Wow. Or his frame engraved. Double wow. Even hand stippling looks nice and shows someone put in effort. At least I think stippling looks okay.

I even like skateboard tape. It makes a statement.. “I use this tool hard, it’s not here to be pretty.”

I’m not sure what statement flaming makes. But it’s your gun and you do what YOU like!

dogtown tom

Years ago the Dixie Gun Works catalog had a method for putting a spiral pattern on your flintlock or percussion rifle.

I think it involved soaking a rope in a solution and wrapping the stock letting the rope dry.

Supposedly it was a method used by the frontiersmen.

Pahoo

Application ???

Years ago the Dixie Gun Works catalog had a method for putting a spiral pattern on your flintlock or percussion rifle.

Yes. I have done these, along with RamRods, Sheds and Some knife handles but in this case, the OP is asking about handgun grips. ..... :)

Be Safe !!!