anyone ever made a 30 Carbine bolt action rifle

hammie

There was the lever action Marlin 62.

marlin62.jpg

I never thought about it before, but the marlin is sort of like a mini - Savage 99. Like the savage, the marlin cocks on closing and the bolt has an extension which locks up into the receiver ejection port.

OK... while that is not a bolt action, that is really cool... thanks for posting, I actually see one in 30 Carbine... do you know if the magazines are Marlin proprietary or would a GI mag fit ???

as far as bolts, nothing like the lil CZ that shoots 223 & 7.62 X 39 ???

just an FYI, I have a GI Carbine, kinda like the round, thinking something that didn't automatically scatter brass all over would be nice, for this older reloader ;)

hammie

No, it takes a marlin magazine, which is a 4 round, single stack. The marlin 62 was also chambered in .256 win magnum, which is just a .357 magnum necked down for .257 bullets.

I think a bolt chambered for .30 US carbine would be a fun plinker, too, but the supplies of surplus .30 carbine ammo have long since dried up, and there may not be that much of a demand for a .30 carbine platform.

What I'd really like to see is a marlin 1894, or the small ruger 77 bolt action (like the 77/357) chambered for .327 federal, but I suspect that is even less likely to happen.

I'd think either the 22 Hornet, or 221 Fireball or similar would have the right sized bolt face, & length of bolt throw... & because of diminishing ammo, makes me think if I want to shoot that round, something more easy to control the brass might be nice... since it's getting to be harder to get ammo for... as a plus, a bolt rifle could likely wring out a lot more accuracy than the semi carbine...

I realize a 357 would easily do anything the 30 carbine would ( & more )... just kinda surprised no one ever made one... but I guess when the government abandoned the rifle, & you could buy a semi auto for $15.00 why worry about a bolt action ????

madmo44mag

I shoot 30 carb in a M1 30 and a Ruger BH.
As much as I love these guns the 30 carb round is a bit of a PIA to reload.
It is a tapered wall rifle cartridge that head spaces on the case mouth.
To long and it will not chamber, too short and bad things can happen.
The brass stretches considerably every time it is fired so you always have to check the OAL of the case and trim before reloading.
There is no surplus any more and factory ammo is a bit pricey.
A fun round but it has its costs.
If your looking to build a 30 carb rifle I sure would look for something less troublesome to find ammo for or reload.

I use a universal decapping die, then I wet tumble each time, then size, & from the sizing die, it goes into a file trim die ( I actually have a separate station next to my press to file trim ) then to my RCBS case prep center, to clean up the mouth, & back to wet tumble to remove any lube, or burrs from trimming or chamforing

so at that point ( yep... quite a bit of work ) I might as well shoot it in something more accurate, & that is both easier on the case & doesn't toss them in the bushes :eek:

I don't recall seeing a 30 Carbine cartridge in a bolt action rifle now that I think about it. A most unusual question there Magnum Wheel Man and one that has never been asked before that I know of. Good for you Sir.

madmo44mag

I love the 30 carb cartridge even though they are a pain to reload.
I must love it because yesterday I shot close to 400 rounds of it.
A few years back I got a deal on 30 carb new bass and bought 5k rounds of it.
I loaded it all and when I get down to 1k rounds I start case prep.
Gives a guy something to do on cold winter nights.

I don't shot my carbine anywhere I can't recover the brass due to the cost and limited resources for it.

If you like the round find a Ruger 40 carb pistol.
They are a lot of fun and folks freak out when they hear the report - dam loud for a fairly small framed revolver.
Pretty good muzzle flash too.

hammie

@madmo: I've never had the trim/headspace problems that you have encountered. Perhaps that's because I almost always shoot from an M1 carbine and I suspect the cartridge is really head spacing on the extractor.

The one problem I have encountered, is bullet setback due to the tapered case. I have to make sure there is plenty of neck tension. Otherwise the bullet will push back pretty easily.

Kind of a fun plinker, though.

coldbeer

I trim 30 carbine cases to 1.280" but anything less than 1.290" gets reloaded anything over 1.289 gets trimmed. Usually every other loading requires trimming.

madmo44mag

The .30 carb case is supposed to headspace on the cartridge mouth, and it does, but if you make the cartridge a bit too short, it will still work properly. This is because the carbine uses a "controlled feed." That is, the cartridge being stripped out of the magazine slides up the breechface and under the extractor claw long before it ever fully chambers. If the cartridge is too short, it will actually "headspace" on the extractor claw! The extractor will hold it in its proper position as you prepare to fire it.
If you have a tight chamber then case length become and issue.
In a revolver you have no “wiggle” room so headspace – case length is best a little short.

PetahW

A fella named Peter Sarony of Armalon (UK) did some Lee-Enfield carbine conversions in .30US Carbine.

ThomasT

I don't know about a bolt action for this round but I sure wish it would occur to NEF to make a Handi-Rifle in this round. Or at least offer barrels with open sights on them. A new, USA made Rook&Rabbit rifle. How cool would that be?

steveNChunter

I'm pretty sure you can get a T/C contender or encore barrel in .30 carbine. A 14" contender in .30 carbine would be nice.

But as others have said it's just so much easier/cheaper to have a .357 mag

DJEInConcord

A writer more eloquent than me wrote the 30 M1 carbine has been made in every kind of rifle, and none of them accurate.

I have M1s, they are fun, but in 4 MOA kinda fun.

tangolima

The .30 carb case is supposed to headspace on the cartridge mouth, and it does, but if you make the cartridge a bit too short, it will still work properly. This is because the carbine uses a "controlled feed." That is, the cartridge being stripped out of the magazine slides up the breechface and under the extractor claw long before it ever fully chambers. If the cartridge is too short, it will actually "headspace" on the extractor claw! The extractor will hold it in its proper position as you prepare to fire it.
If you have a tight chamber then case length become and issue.
In a revolver you have no “wiggle” room so headspace – case length is best a little short.

I thought the m1 carbine has push-feed, instead of control-feed. It has a closed bolt face with button ejector. In fact, I haven't seen an auto loader rifle with control-feed, certainly only a handful of such rifles I have looked at.

-TL