Anyone ever clean their cases w/ Carb cleaner?

castnblast

I was just curious. It's a hell of a solvent. I cleaned a guys shotgun w/ the stuff (after completely taking it apart of course and removing the 0 rings) that was caked over w/ crud. Solvent wasn't working. I grabed some carb cleaner and the stuff melted off. I was curious if this technique would be good to get the soot out of brass.:confused: :confused: :confused:

Wild Bill Bucks

I haven't found much that Carb cleaner or brake cleaner won't take off, but I would think it is an expensive way to clean. A good shell brush would work just as well. What a brush doesn't get out, isn't going to mean a whole lot in terms of loadability or accuracy.

Bud Helms

For small parts, I've used a gallon can of Gunk for years. It comes, or did, with a strainer basket inside that lets you raise and lower the parts without just pitching them in and splashing the cleaner. Tin-handled acid brushes, with bristles trimmed to make it stiffer, help getting into nooks and crannies.

I don't like the carb cleaner because I don't like getting it on something across the room. It comes out of that can with a lot of pressure and it burns when it gets in your eyes. The Gunk does too, if you use it from a pressurized can. ;)

The Gunk rinses well with water too, if you must. Or a good soaking coat of Hoppe's to dilute any remaining solvent followed by a simple rag wipe dry and the lube of your choice is best.

snuffy

Don't worry about the soot, if the fouling INSIDE the case is what you're refering to. it's nearly impossible to get it all out of there, and it won't hurt to leave it there. Some claim it "builds up". BS, at least not when smokeless powder is the propellant.

I use a vibratory tumbler to clean my cases. The media gets inside the cases, it removes SOME of the soot/powder fouling. Any more than that, I'm not a bit worried about.

918v

You can get the carbon out of the inside of cases, but not with carb cleaner. I tried it. It don't work.

The only thing that does is warm vinegar.

rem33

I have taken a small bottle with a smaller neck, ( old hoppes 2 or 3 Oz.) placed the carb cleaner straw into the bottle ( do this outside) shot a inch or so of cleaner into the bottle, capped it up, then used a Q-tip to clean small selected areas. The cleaner will or has lasted several months by keeping the lid on nice and snug.
Cheap carb cleaner can be found at the dollar store on occasion, buy half a dozen, they last quite a while.