Anyone else use a optical disc when shooting?

bald1

I've been using this one from Farrsight for years. Clips on to your glasses and can be flipped up out of the way. Unfortunately it no longer seems to be on the market. When Brownell's had it, their number was 084-048-001.

The apertures allow an extremely deep range of focus akin to a camera at f/64. The front sight to target are crisp

Farrsight%20Optical%20Disc.jpg

Standing Wolf

Member in memoriam
Yep. I've been using one or another optical assist of this kind for years. Like stopping down a camera lens, the assist gives you greater depth of field.

Sad to say, makers come and go. Merit seems to be the maker that's been around longest and delivers the steadiest quality.

I may just say to heck with the whole deal and trade in my tired old eyes on fresh young eyes.

brickeyee

The Merit attachment works very well.

The adjustable iris allows you to step down enough to get the depth of field you want based on ambient light conditions.

Brighter lighting allows a smaller iris and more depth of field.
Dimmer light means you have to have a larger opening to get enough light to your eye but you can still have enough depth of field to get the job done.

They are good for practicing to develop better trigger control.

qcpunk

Wow, now I understand why Peep sights are used in High Accuracy rifle shooting!

Thanks guys! I see the light! And you didn't even have to do a thing ;)

I might have to try one of these for pistol shooting.

chris in va

I have one that sticks to your glasses. Used it once, threw it in the bag. I just couldn't get used to something blocking my vision, and unless you have full sunlight, you can't see a darn thing as it reduces light levels.

Want mine?:cool:

darkgael

discs

I have used the Merit optical disc and a another disc that mounts on a Knoblock frame along with an occluding disc for the off eye.
Great for bringing that front sight into focus with the target.
Pete

qcpunk

Chris, Really? I just might have to take you up on that. IF you were wanting to sell it, how much might you ask for it?

Edit: Question for the thread, If you were to use the opical disk as a training aid for sight picture, follow up shot, and accuracy training, what are the chances that One might become dependant on the disk?

darkgael

discs

Edit: Question for the thread, If you were to use the opical disk as a training aid for sight picture, follow up shot, and accuracy training, what are the chances that One might become dependant on the disk?

The discs, be they the Farrsight, the Merit, Gehmann, do have a bit of a learning curve. The shooter has to look through a very small aperture at the sights on the firearm. The smaller the aperture, the greater the depth of field but also the darker the image (less light gets through). Placement of the disc/aperture in relation to the pupil of the eye is critical for precise shooting. For casual shooting, the placement is less so.
I have found that the discs work best for slower, more precise shooting, as opposed to rapid fire (that may be just me). As to becoming dependent on the things - not sure about that......I do like a clear, crisp, sight picture; I suppose that could be addicting. When I don't use the Merit, I have to find another way to see the sights, otherwise the front sight (and the rear) is a blur. Another solution is to have shooting glasses made which allow the eye to focus on the front sight.
Pete

velocette

A good place to look. No website but a catalogue is available.

Gil Hebard Guns
125 Public Square
Knoxville, IL 61448
(309)289-2700
FAX (309)289-2233

Roger

qcpunk

You really bring some good points to light there Darkgael, I think my only option then is to try it out for my self, and see what happens.

I've heard others say that with the Iris opened up a little more, their double taps and follow-up shots are quicker and more accurate. That may be subjective, but I think worth investigating. Typically, in my case, the device would be used in casual shooting and working on the finer details of my shooting, as opposed to benchrest, "same hole" accuracy.

Darkgael mentions having shooting glasses made, is that sort of a Rx set of glasses? I currently wear "low power" Rx eyeglasses (right on the boarder of Daily wear/Occasional wear), so going the route of a pair of shooting specific glasses may not be out of the question.

I'm also thinking that a sharp, clear sight picture would be able to highlight any movement when dealing with grip/trigger control, Thoughts?

darkgael

glasses

is that sort of a Rx set of glasses?
Yes. I had a nice set of shooting glasses. They protected my eyes but I couldn't see the sights. My regular Varilux require an odd tilt of my head to use the part that will bring the front sight into focus. I took the frames to an optometrist. Told him what I wanted to do. He took the measurements and made me a set of lenses for the shooting glass frame. One lens (left) is my standard reading prescription. The other lens (right) is made to focus on an object held at a bit more than arms length. It works just fine for me, though getting used to two lenses with different focal lengths might be a problem for some.
Pete

LaserSpot

I used to use this technique when testing a pistol from the bench for accuracy. My home-made optical disc was a tiny piece of black plastic with a small hole drilled in it; this was taped to my shooting glasses. It worked well for this purpose, brings the target and sights into sharp focus!

I'm also thinking that a sharp, clear sight picture would be able to highlight any movement when dealing with grip/trigger control, Thoughts?
I don't think it would help; the recoil of the gun disguises any problems. Your best bet is to mix some dummies with your live ammo. Also, a set of laser grips will highlight any movement.

qcpunk

Thanks for the info Darkgael, I'll have to look into that after my season in Alaska. My script power is very low so I'm thinking it may not be too bad to have a slightly different power in my right eye, but we'll see :D

LaserSpot, I'm sorry, I didn't really elaborate on the trigger control/movement issue. I'm not having issues with flinching, but the method you mentioned is exactly what broke me of flinching ;)

But more specificly, I was thinking about dry-fire and wall drills with the optical disk. Mostly focusing on grip strength as it relates to movement, as well as the squeeze and trigger brake. But that was entirely my fault, I didn't expand on that as much as I should have in my above post:eek:. But I really do thank you for your input. I may rig something up similar to your plastic and tape deal to experiment a little before purchasing anything.

I'm thinking maybe a piece of really thin plastic, find a wire of the desired diameter and melt the hole. I might be able to produce a smaller apature that way than with a drill.

Thanks everyone for your advice! This is why I enjoy hanging around TFL. Now, if only I could buy a round of beers in a message board..........:D

bald1

qcpunk,

I hope you're not looking for more out of these discs than is reasonable. Frankly I'm not much of a believer in their doing anything more than helping obtain a crisp clear sight picture for relaxed range shooting. I don't use mine for fast double tap drills as I've worked on hand-eye instinctive aiming instead. The aperture tends to compromise field of view even with both eyes open when trying for super fast target acquisition and on target sight alignment.

It's similar to a technique we taught troops way back when we were switching over from the M14 to M16. It was called the quick kill technique. We used Daisy BB guns with sights taped over and had the troops fire from the hip at small red rubber balls at about a 10' distance. Believe it or not almost all were able to hit the suckers 9 out of 10 times once they allowed themselves to use their inherent instinctive hand eye coordination.

Anyhow, these aperture discs definitely have their place. But they're not a cure for many improper shooting techniques, nor a boon for super fast shooting drills.

qcpunk

Great point to add Bald1.

I've noticed that my sight picture isnt very clear for my age, though probably due to dirty glasses :eek:. For the most part, I'm pretty straight shooting. I am just hoping this might be used as a bit of a diagnostic tool. And maybe bring it out to out shoot friends with iron sights against their scopes ;). But really, mostly to help refine any finer movements. I hope that if I can see the sights in all of their crisp glory, movement would be highlighted more.

I think I'm at the point where I would like to refine my skills, hopefully will be shooting in some USPSA type events. I have a good point-shoot with my P99, but a little out of practice and out of touch with my XD which I will probably use in USPSA.

But you're definately right Bald1, thanks for the reality check :D. And that's no BS either lol. I definately caught a little of the "Arm chair speculation" bug for a minute. You are certainly correct, that optical disks have their place. I still think I'll experiment a little with it, and will see where it takes me. Of course I will update, and let everyone here know what my experiences are.

Again, Thanks to all who contributed. I hope I didn't highjack the thread from you Bald1, certainly wasn't my intent, but got a little too caught up in it :eek:

:)

bald1

I hope I didn't highjack the thread from you Bald1, certainly wasn't my intent, but got a little too caught up in it

Nah.... not at all. I think the exchanges we see around here are both very civil and quite informative. Your input, and queries, were stimulating. Never fear!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, over 60, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!

Retired "mustang" naval officer
Retired "zoomie" federal manager

jcims

qcpunk said:
Wow, now I understand why Peep sights are used in High Accuracy rifle shooting!

I discovered that by accident one day at a local gun shop. I'd looked through peeps a few times, but never really paid attention...pretty funny.