Anyone else think the use of "Tactical" has gone off the deep end?

I thought I had "seen it all" by now in most gun magazines with the description of many gun related products:

Tactical vest. Tactical pants. Tactical shirt. Tactical belt. Tactical boots. Tactical cat.

Ooops, got carried away.

I received a catalog from CED - Competitive Edge Dynamics - the folks that make a nice chronograph, shooting timers, range bags, etc... I wasn't going to buy anything out of it, but decided to see what new toys were there.

If you haven't seen their latest timer, the CED7000 (which, BTW, is a dynamite timer in a small form factor) now comes in a tactical model. Instead of the chrome-colored plastic buttons, it's all TACTICAL BLACK. Yup, that's right, all TACTICAL BLACK.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I didn't see the ultracool tactical black replacement battery, or a tactical black silicone skin for it, but I'm sure that'll be in the next catalog.

Scheeze.....:rolleyes:

tlm225

Yep, camoflaged wallets, flashlights and knives. The very things I want to find in the woods are designed not to be found. What the heck I'm probably wrong, I'll bet a "tactical" pistol generates 10% more velocity and 20% less recoil that an otherwise "non-tactical" version. Anyway just the word tactical sells.

Jseime

Would anyone like to but a "tactical" Cooey Model 75 Single shot .22?

Ill paint it all black for you and tape a flashlight and a laser pointer to the barrel with electrical tape and you can have it for only 5 oh wait 600 bucks.

Itll be very tactical and ninja-like and black and cool and evil. Personally I think thats a heck of a deal.

Rangefinder

Yah, well... Typing tactical is easy. But I even write tactical. Black Bic ultra-fine rollerball with a top o' the line rubberized grip--very erganomical, and designed for endurance. I can scribble sub-moa all day long with this tacticool baby... :D

38splfan

Tactical too far?

Yes, tactical has officially broken into the realm of excess.
When I see the goofs at the range in their tactical ninja suit with ninety pounds of kydex on their belt, I just laugh inside and move down a stall or two.
Also, photo vests are great for IDPA, photographers, and hunting shooting. Casual wear they are not.

My latest buzzword is "professional". Low key, functional, minimalist gear and guns designed to be unobtrusive and non-advertising until needed. Much more functional for me than "tactical" most of the time when off duty. No knee pads and combat boots to the movies for me. And no kydex holsters. Too hard a a good revolver finish for my taste:D

The best part, though, is the association of "tactical" with the colors black, tan, OD green, and dark grey. Thanks to that, I have several "tactical" sweaters, jackets, and coats:rolleyes: I also have a tactical car, a tactical dog, and several tactical ink pens:eek: I even have tactical underwear! Wanna see?;)

Guess I shouldn't tell you about the matte-black frame "tactical glasses" I wear everyday.....

Last edited:

FirstFreedom

Yes, but how about "Extreme" this, and "Xtreme" that? Everything under the sun is extreme now - Remington, Springfield, etc.

David W

Tactical, Practical, High Speedical-Low dragical ?? (Im gonna get it later! :)

Hi Fellas,
My names Dave.... I had to throw in my .5 cts (im broke).

Definitely funny, I've been noticing myself turning off to that "nomenclature" lately as well, I thought I was alone! lol... :)

Then, boy am i gonna get it when you hear (and please spare me misery, i patented it a while back!) the name of my product. (its at the bottom, sig line) [Now clenching teeth awaiting incoming.....]

But I do agree that the average folks, whom are not quite like us "gun nuts" will find that word to mean that it is something above the average joe is likely to have, and here come the hard real facts of sales, yuck, I know!

I do have a saying though, if you don't like something, say you don't like it, BUT, you have to at least put forth some possible solutions!
So, lets see if there arent any other words that us folks might appriciate now.. Make sense? Lets hear from our "wordsmith wizards" :)

Best, Dave

DesertShooter

"Tactical" sort of reminds me of needing to buy an intake manifold for a 1964 Corvette a few years back.

I went into the local Chevy dealer, to their parts department, and asked what the price was for a 4-barrel intake manifold, 1964 Corvette, 327 cubic inch engine. The parts man looked it up in the Corvette parts book and gave me the price.

The parts man was nice, for he pulled out the Chevrolet parts book and looked up intake manifolds for the 1964 Chevrolet. He found that the Corvette and Chevrolet part numbers were the SAME....but the listed price in the CHEVROLET book was about 15% less than what it was in the CORVETTE parts book! I bought the CHEVY manifold!

"Make it in black, or olive, or gray! Call it 'Tactical', and charge an extra 10%!"

HMM! Would a polar bear rifle need to be white for it to be "tactical"?

Recon7

yeah, look at my high speed low drag AR15
it has so much junk bolted on to it I can't move it around too fast, and my lights and optics always get caught on things.
wouldn't that make it LOW speed and HI drag?

I like the term professional. I suppose that's what tactical used to mean before the marketing department got a hold of it.

anybody remember this from the "Does the no safety thing put anyone else off buying a glock ?" thread
http://www.thegunzone.com/mos/ad.html
I think this is a good example of how this tactical thing got started, people who carry guns or work in law enforcement have some slightly different needs than others. different belts, jackets that don't interfere with drawing and holstering a weapon. I have never considered looking like a mall ninja a tactical advantage. it kinda says "if you are taking hostages, shoot me first I probably have weapons and or training that makes me a threat to you." also if you think you are carrying concealed the words blackhawk or 5.11tactical on your clothes will give you away.

Rangefinder

I got ya all beat. Blackhawk now offers a "Tactical" BBQ apron.

Yah, well I have the tacticool utensils (tongs, flipper, AND fork) set with matt-black "stay-cool" handles. Lets get together. Anyone up for a Tactical BBQ? Must wear black--BBQ guns are a must (traditional or high-speed tacticool are both acceptable) :D

Glenn E. Meyer

Don't knock tactical - I was looking for some Under Armour t-shirts which are expensive. I went to the outlet store and they had their 'tactical' line for $14.00.

On the other hand, I was reading the Economist's 2007 world prediction issue and there was an ad for a very expensive tactical wrist watch.

It's everywhere.

Next on the Food Channel - Tactical Cooking with Rachel Ray and Alton Brown.

Actually, Alton is knife guy - if you watch him carefully, he carries some interesting ones. He went mushroom hunting with a Sypderco Police model.

Abby

I swear this is finished in like Duracoat or something similar...

Yep. Tactical garlic press.

I know, you're jealous.

Attachments

• pressweb.jpg
    pressweb.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 53

Hedley

Abby, that is one mean looking press.

How about a tactical 'Ryder? Mag full of over 400 deadly little bb's...the ultimate close quarters combat rifle. That cheap aimpoint is accurate up to one minute of roach. The airsoft below is a spray and pray for opening day of roach and moth season. BTW, the laser and pressure pad are now mounted on the Ryder, since everyone knows that optics redundancy is key to a good tactical weapon.

My dad almost disowned me when he found out I "mutilated" my childhood plinker. "Dad, times are a changin'. Optics are where it's at."
img1933en7li3.jpg

And I guess you could call my Mercury's paint "tactical black," even though it's sold as "hot rod black," which is an even more expensive way of calling it satin black.

Recon7

Rangefinder, that's the kinda AR I referred to in my first post. Although laying prone behind that thing you would have pretty good cover.