Anyone else have these weapons?

James Montes

The weapons I refer to are the 1911s from WILSON COMBAT or any other "CUSTOM" pistol shop.

I always read about mass production Glocks, Sigs, HKs, Berettas' etc. on this forum. What about the exotic customs?

Who else has bought a full custom 1911. I know they are $$$!!!

I saved two years to buy mine and it was well worth it, as it is the finest pistol I own.

If there are others out there lucky enough to own these weapons, where they worth the price tag? Do they do what you expected them to do? Basically, are they what you expected?

For those who do not own these weapons, would you like too? If so why? Is there any motivation to save and buy one in the future?

The questions I pose may seem trivial. But I am curious to know who else has these weapons. Or who wants them for that matter.

------------------
SURE SHOT

WalterGAII

Since my acquisition of my first Glock 21, I just keep my 1911's (70 Series Gold Cups) in the safe and shoot the hell out of my Glock. A more expensive, more refined 1911 just doesn't interest me in the least.

All this is just a matter of personal preference, and that's mine.

Phillip

What's so exotic about at 1911 type custom shop gun. You may have had it modified with some things that allow you to shoot or handle it better, but exotic, I would say not.
Exotic would be something more like a 1911 in 224 BOZ, an FN 57 or a Beretta 93R, a Stetchkin a Jati etc... IOW something not commonly seen.
Unless your Wilson Shop Custom has a damascus slide specially made, it is still a production gun, granted a high end production gun.

Mike Spight

James:

In the early 1980s, I owned a Colt MKIV, Series 70 in .45 ACP. I sent it to (at that time) a young, up and coming pistol smith by the name of Bill Wilson for a street/carry reliability package. It was fantastic...no tricks, hi vis fixed sights, standard safety, Videcki trigger and beveled mag well. I'm sorry I let it go years later while stationed at Ft. Bragg.

Also had a Springfield Armory 1911 which their custom shop had performed a basic reliability/carry package. Still hi vis fixed sights, but I did have them put an Ed Brown ambi safety on this one. Sold it to my roomate in Tampa about a year and a half ago when I switched over (totally) to three SIGs for my semi-autos. The SA was a great pistol as well, but not quite as nice as the Wilson.

I'm thinking about getting another 1911 within the next couple of months and Wilson Combat is currently at the top of my list, followed closely by Baer and Kimber. I'm looking specifically at the CQB or Protector. They're both pricy enough at around $1700. I'm not personally interested in breaking the $2K barrier and going with one of his custom shop pistols.

Which one of Wilson's do you have...is it a Service Grade pistol or one of his all out custom shop pistols?

Mike

jwong

James,

I had two Les Baer Premier II's at one time... I ended up selling them and using the money for my HK SP89... The Baers were great guns though. Very accurate! The fit and finish was excellent as well, but then I would expect that since the guns cost so much! All in all, I got a very good deal on each of them (~$1000 each, new) and I would say for that price the value was there... But I've seen some Baers lately costing about $1500 and more, and I don't know if I would buy one again for that price...

James K

Member In Memoriam
Hi, folks,

I don't want to name names but I have seen some high-end custom guns that were plain no good, if you interpret "good" as functional rather than pretty. I have seen front sights fly away, rear sights loosen, beavertail grip safeties that looked and felt great but didn't work as safeties, slides so tight they had to be hammered open, hammers that would not stay at full cock, slide stops that came out, extractors that wouldn't hold the cartridge, guns that jammed nearly every round with ball, thumb safeties that did not work, etc.

What I am saying is simply that big bucks don't necessarily buy good guns. You can get very expensive (and even dangerous) lemons.

Jim

Mikey

James,

YES! I have owned a Wilson 1996-A2 since they first came out. I got one of the first blued ones produced. I believe the first crop had a little extra hand fitting than some of the later A2's. Mine has a crisp 3 1/4 pound trigger and is absolutely reliable. It's my primary carry piece, backed up by a full custom Springfield Ultra-Compact. The Springfield was a test bed for my first "home-smithing" lessons.

I also had a Wilson Service Grade Classic for a while. It was a great gun too but it didn't do anything any better than the A2. I used it at the '98 IDPA Nationals and took 3rd in my class with it - then I sold it and built one in 40 caliber on a Caspian frame and slide.

My last project was another 40 caliber built on an STI frame and slide. It's a real honey.

If you like the custom jobs, and you are handy and have some guidance available, try building one yourself. I have gotten so darned picky since I built one that I don't know if I'll ever be satisfied with anybody else's work anymore.

Mikey

James Montes

Mike,

I have the "stealth" model, and it is a fully customized 1911...

And it is everything I expected.

One post ask what is so exotic about it...

Well it does have a very unique "CONE" barrel that reduces muzzle flip. I invite anyone to check out this weapon on WILSON COMBATs web page. I think it is very $$$, but well worth it.

Better than any other weapon I have fired or owned! In everyway but price!!!

------------------
SURE SHOT

[This message has been edited by James Montes (edited November 15, 1999).]

antenna

I've used a standard base model Model 70 1911 for some time and love it to death. The only mods I've made to it are strictly pratical. I've had a stronger recoil spring installed, the trigger adjusted and the ejection port widened and rounded to prevent stovepiping. Other than that, I have probably put close to 7-8k rounds without nary a glitch. Had a last round once fail to lock back the slide. Faulty round, not faulty gun. I just bought a NIB S&W 442 in 38 spl., more for the wife than for me. She's too small to handle the full size 1911. Regardless, nothing beats a .45 or .38/.357. Nothing. Don't worry about round capacity either. There are very few people still upright that were hit center mass with either a .357 or .45. Round placement, not round capacity are key. Get some training from your local NRA approved firing range. A lot of cops hang out at the range and are more than willing to help a law abiding citizen in his efforts to correctly learn how to shoot. Practice till your hand hurts. When I was a marksmanship instructor in the Corps, we shot in every position imaginable. Learn to shoot from the Waever and similar stances, kneeling and around corners, prone and with your opposite hand. If you have an auto, learn how to avoid possible jams and if you do get one, how to rectify it within a split second. A .22 is better in well trained hands than any pistol in hands that aren't.

[This message has been edited by antenna (edited November 17, 1999).]

Bryan Whited

Do SV's fit into this catagory?
If so they are definitly worth it!
My current shooter will have its 12,000th round fired thru it this weekend and it is now almost broken in.
Also have an old Steel Challenge firearm. Traded a Kimber Gold Match to get it because I wanted something that actually works! It is a Nowlin Combat 9x21 that has been rechambered to 38 super. It also has every extra piece of steel removed from it. You can see the extractor from the the outside of the slide and looking at the underside of the slide you can see the firing pin. It has a clean trigger that breaks at 1.5lbs and a red dot sight.
Is that exotic enough?

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Greetings James; Sir, I respect your opinion,
but I believe that I will be sticking with
my Sig-Sauer's. I have very little desire
for a mega buck custom 1911 model !!!

------------------
Ala Dan

JERKY

I like the sigs as well. as far as the 1911's go, i dont want any single action pistol. ive had em and dont like em.

P.S. its a good thing Sig's dont cost $2,000
if so, i would probably be gunless.

------------------
TIM : )

WESHOOT2

To each his own..........

My 1911 is ALL custom, right down to the serial number. I had it, I flaunted it, I ain't got it any more (but I own a 100% reliable big-hole-maker).

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

James Montes

Hey, I love my SIGs too!!! I just have to know if anyone else out there steps up to bat and gives the 1911 customs some notice...

BenDover

I got my Springfield 911 customized by Wison around 9 years ago for $1500. and I see the same package costs around $2200. I don't shoot it enough, but when I do there is none finer!! You get what you pay for at Wilson's shop!

Rob Pincus

I have a Clark Custom Meltdown Caspian in .40 S&W, it is definitely worth the price tag if you are looking for a serious, reliable, comfortable carry 1911.

Mikey

You go boyee!

Great to hear from you Rob. You still using those Glicks, err Glucks...whatever they're called? ;)

Those Clark Meltdowns look like they would be really nice. Why don't you get your butt back down here to Tennessee so we can see it, err I mean YOU. :D

Mikey

ak9

James, check out the STI site and give these folks a call. If you can get to their neck of the woods, go by there. My buddy bought the full size Trojan for under a $1000, and that man has a perpetual smile on his face. Made it his duty gun.

Rob Pincus

Actually, I only wear the Meltdown when I get dressed up, the Glock serves me just fine on a daily basis. :).

(Good to type at ya again, mikey!)

------------------
-Essayons