Anyone But Me Carry The Silvertip in 38?

Tom B

I keep hearing Nyclad! Nyclad! And it is a good bullet but what about the Win 125gr STHP+P? More POP and very accurate in my revolvers. I also think the jacket would tend to expand a little better in 38spl than some.

stans

Many people just don't like to use jacketed bullets in the 38 due to its relatively low velocity. The nylon coating on the Nyclad supposedly does not interfere with expansion at low velocity.

Snowdog

Tom,

I've had some rather disappointing results from Nyclad ammunition from my Taurus M85 w/ 2" barrel.

I am an avid fan of the heavy 158gr SWCHP+P out of the short barrels of snubs. I like to test the ammunition I plan to carry on clothing-clad Playdough to compare results. I've noticed that my results closely reflect those of others who use ballistic gelatin as a medium.

During my tests, I pitted Federal Nyclad 158gr SWCHP+P against those made by Winchester using the same profile.
While Winchester never failed to produce some level of expansion, the Nyclad never even hinted at any attempt to expand. Though the manufacturer claims Nyclad line utilizes dead-soft lead under their proprietary coating, I suppose it may be that very coating that prevents expansion from the reduced velocities commonly encountered from short barrels.

I would guess the performance would change from longer barrels or other calibers, but I suppose for the snubbies, Nyclad SWCHPs aren't for me.

Last edited:

Blue Duck357

It's the standard load for my agency, but they also authorize the 38+p+ 147 Grain hydra-shock. No offense but I use the box of 125 grain silvertips they give me each year for range ammo and buy my own 147's. Guess that pretty much tells you what I think of them ;)

Jim March

Snowdog: that report does NOT surprise me. I'm not sure it's the coating that's the problem though: all else being equal, Federal tends to wimp out in the velocity department.

Chrono the suckers, and I'll bet you'll find the real culprit.

Somebody chronoed the Federal "personal defense" .38 110 hydrashocks from a 2" tube, and they barely hit 800fps. Pathetic.

Remington's 158+P LSWC-HP is reputed to be the fastest modern variant on the recipe. Hard to find.

Mannlicher

I have never shot the silvertips from the .38. I use them a lot in my .45 Colt Smith 25-5, and love them. I think I will try some in the Taurus or Smith .38.

I have used the HydroShock 129 grain a lot, and I love the NyClad 125 +P load.

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello. I cannot speak to the 158 gr version, but the 125 gr standard pressure Nyclad out of my 2" J-frame averages 886 ft/sec. My preference is for the 158 gr +P SWCHP, usually Remingtons, but this particular pistol is not rated for +P.

Best.

PS: While I still think it's basically true that one can fire a somewhat limited number of +P rounds in the non-+P rated J's, I did see one go completely out of time after less than one box and another where either the frame stretched or something "gave" as it would not reliably fire anything after what's estimated at 150 rnds of +P ammo. At that point I quit firing any +P in my non-rated airweight. Until that point, mine had digested about 200 or so with no discernible problems and continues to be in time and reliable.

gumshoe4

I carry the standard pressure Silvertip in my 649. I think it's 95 grain. I believe that that round was, like the Nyclad, specifically designed for short-barrelled snub revolvers and I'm pleased with the round's accuracy and lack of recoil.

Bob

warhammer357

Silver bullets, the lone rangers choice!!!

I have silvertips in that caliber in my model 60, even as we speak. Nothing better to fend off human werewolves than silver bullets, bro.