Anybody with experience using mid-range powders for 4" 44 mag loads?

totaldla

Everybody is used to cranking out nuclear loads using H110,2400,w296 - all of which are excellent, but really shine in longer barrels. I'm just wondering about more efficient non-nuclear loads from 4" barrels using mid-range powders.

I have on hand Enforcer, AutoComp, Longshot, Silhouette, and Clays. I intend to use Enforcer for 240gr@1200fps loads simply because I can find load data. But it seems to me that I might be able to do close to the same with a faster powder, given the short 4" barrel. Now I know that Clays is fast and good for 800fps plinkers. What about the mid-range powders AC,LS and Sil? Anyone have experience with these?

running iron

For those powders I have had great results using 7 grs. of Auto Comp with a 240 SWC good for over 800 fps in your 4" barrel. Don't use the other powders you have listed for 44 magnum. But, if you ever get some AA#5 I have had incredible accuracy with a 300 gr. lead F.P. bullet using 10.4 grs. of AA#5 good for 1063 fps and very very accurate with out all the drama you normally get with 300 gr. bullets.

totaldla

running_iron said:
For those powders I have had great results using 7 grs. of Auto Comp with a 240 SWC good for over 800 fps in your 4" barrel. Don't use the other powders you have listed for 44 magnum. But, if you ever get some AA#5 I have had incredible accuracy with a 300 gr. lead F.P. bullet using 10.4 grs. of AA#5 good for 1063 fps and very very accurate with out all the drama you normally get with 300 gr. bullets.

I love AA#5 - but it got really hard to find. I'll have to try it with the 44 mag next time I get some.

Nomadicone

This isn't one of the powders you mentioned but I have a pet load of 19.0-19.5 of 2400 with a 240-250 cast in a Mountain Gun. Easy on the hands, accurate and in my gun it runs about 1200 fps.

Sam06

Give AA#5 a try and there is always Unique and 2400.

AA#5 burns a little faster than unique(Just a little), its very clean and meters well. Another plus is its a great powder in 45acp if you load for that too. Even better is its less expensive than Unique and 2400 at least around here. I have just about substituted AA#5 and AA#9 for Unique and 2400 respectively, Due to cost and their metering in my 550B.

I have never used Enforcer because I cannot find any Ramshot powder in my area. I hear its a good powder in the 44 and 41 magnum.

zxcvbob

I don't have any of those powders, but I use 12.0 grains of Herco or WSF with 250 grain cast bullets for an economical nucular .45 Colt load. The same powder charge should be good in .44 Magnum using 240 grain bullets.

HS-6 should be another good powder to try.

Last edited:

totaldla

Anybody know of WAP data for 44 mag? Ramshot Silhouette is supposed to be identical to WAP, but they don't list 44 mag load data for it in their load guide.

GeauxTide

My favorite snake load is 8.0gr of Unique under 240gr SWC. Dispatched many a Cottonmouth trying to get my bream.