Anybody used the dual-action recoil springs?

worldishis

EFK Firedragon sells their own for $65 and DPM Systems sell theirs for about $85 USD. Which sounds a bit pricey but when you think that, depending on your handgun, you'd be replacing the plastic guide rod for a stainless one. That costs about $25 usually, so its not so bad. If you planned on doing that anyways its like your paying $40 for the recoil system.

So has anybody used one of these before? How well do they reduce recoil? Im going to put one in a Glock 30 which is a sub compact so I want something to cushion the blow a little bit.

Creature

I used a dual-action spring on my Glock 22 for all of one box of ammo. Sold the spring the following week on eBay to another sucker...
They dont help with the functionality of the gun one bit and they certainly didnt "dampen" the recoil enough to justify the degree of functionality lost.

worldishis

Hey Creature, if you wouldnt mind elaborating, what kind of functionality did you lose when the dual recoil springs were installed?

Creature

The second spring actually reduced the slide's rearward travel just enough that more than occasionally I would get a FTF.

c4v3man

Sounds alot like the recoil system used on HK USP's. It can't be any worse than a single stage system as far as wear goes, although reliability would have to be tested. Obviously the system built into the USP's is bulletproof, so the concept itself isn't flawed. I say $65 is cheap, and I'd rather have a metal guide rod than a plastic one... I know my USP Expert .45 doesn't have the 'slam' at the end of the cycle that my father's Glock 23 has, but that could be due to the .40's pressures as well. Let us know how it works for you.

EDIT: I started my post prior to Creature's being put up, so I would follow Creature's advice and steer clear. At least try a different manufacturer if you need to try it.

ChicagoTex

In the case of current-gen baby glocks, at least, the recoil system is already dual-captive.

The DPM system is a three-stage, and Jeff Quinn of Gunblast.com swears by 'em.

Me? I'm kinda liking my G26 the way it is and I'm not really seeing the need for such a thing.

Cliff47

I have one in my Hi-Power and my CZ75B. The unit drops in during a cleaning and may seem overly stiff at first, but loosens up with use. During cleaning, it helps to check the tightness of the locking nut on the end, and a drop or two of lube on the piston.

I look on it as an investment in extending the life of my pistols.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Someone posted on Glocktalk that after installing the EFK spring system, pulling the trigger would move the slide out of battery. I believe EFK indicated that the springs were defective and replaced them, but I would still recommend that if you install it, be sure to test it thoroughly before using it with live ammunition.