Anybody use Sordin muffs?

FoghornLeghorn

I currently have Howard Leight Impact muffs I likely paid <$100.

They're old and the cushions need to be replaced and I'm thinking about upgrading. I wear plugs and muffs at the range and when I shoot long guns the muffs get in the way. I just work around them.

I've tried using the Leights with plugs but still can't hear people talking.

I read on another gun forum that Sordin muffs are top notch. Amazon has a decent selection, but too many offerings. So, allow me to ask a question.

One Sordin has a neck band. What's that for?

Also, there is a Supreme Pro and a Supreme Pro X. About fifty dollars difference in the two. I'll use them for the range (with plugs) and in the field (without plugs).

I'll never need them for SWAT or Black Ops.

Would an average shooter (moi) be able to tell the difference between the two?

Jim Watson

I don't know the difference between a Sordin Pro and Pro X. They do not have real good NRR - up to a claimed 25 dB from earlier ratings of 18 -22 - so you would need to plug under them.

The neck band model is for wear under a helmet or brimmed hat that you can't crush like a ball cap.

burrhead

I shoot at least once a week and have for 15 plus years. Over all, shooting for 50+ years all together. Rifles and pistols. I've been using Sordin Pros for 10 or so of those years and like them very much. I've seen Mr. Watson mention the NRR rating on this forum in the past and it doesn't match my empirical experience.

It is true that sound is attenuated more if the electronics are turned off. If I'm shooting something exceptionally loud I'll turn them off but for pistols and 308, 30-06, 6mm Rem, etc. they work fine. Under a roof, shooting a 14" Contender chambered in 7mm-30 Waters is a different story and I double up.

They're also very comfortable to wear. I recommend them.

FoghornLeghorn

The above comments raise interesting points, and thanks for the responses.

Decibels measure sound pressure and are logarithmic. That means that only a 3db increase almost doubles sound pressure, a 6db increase quadruples sound pressure, etc.

The Sordin muffs reduce the noise level by 25dB.

A 357 Magnum revolver produces 164.2 dB. I can't find data for dB levels at various barrel lengths.

That means 139.2dB reaches the shooters ears with the Sordins?

According to my data, 140 dBA noise causes immediate injury to almost any unprotected ear.

I wear glasses when I shoot, and it interrupts the muff seal around my ears. I'm assuming it's possible for 140dB to reach my ears when I'm shooting the 357.

It's all quite confusing.

I always double up at the range. But never in the field. I need to protect what hearing I have left, even if it means never hunting again.

Edited to add: I've read of people talking about wearing electronic muffs and plugs, and turning up the volume of the muffs to hear range commands over the plugs.

I've tried that with my Howard Leight Impact electronic muffs, but it doesn't work for me. Maybe the Sordins are louder?

Last edited:

LeverGunFan

From the Sordin website, it looks like the Pro-X has an auxiliary input for connecting external audio, the Pro does not.

One specification I did not see was the reaction time for the sound suppression, faster reaction times are better at preventing hearing loss. You are wise to use ear plugs under muffs at the range, that will help with electronic muffs that have a slow reaction time, and it also helps with the relatively low NRR common to electronic muffs.

The best hearing protection one can get is to use passive ear muffs (zero reaction time) plus ear plugs.

FoghornLeghorn

Hearing protection at the range is no problem. I always use plugs and muffs, even if I'm the only one there.

I am concerned about hunting. Needing to hear the ambient noise, etc.