Anybody tried the Safariland Model 27 holster

Tim B

Re: Safariland Model 27

I have one for a 1911 that I use as a spare from time to time. The one in the picture in the link you posted does not do the holster justice, because in my opinion it caries the weapon way too high.

The 1911 version carries the weapon deeper so it rides lower in the waistband (similar to a Milt Sparks Summer Special) and has a sweat shield with a detent for the thumb safety in the up/ON position. Here is a link to a photo of that holster on the Natchez Shooters Supply website:

https://www.natchezss.com/images/products/SF275361.jpg

The J-hook works very well and rotates so you can vary the carry angle. The holster is very serviceable and I like it just fine, although I prefer a Summer Special II for everyday use. I would actually recommend it as a temporary holster to hold you over during the wait for a Milt Sparks, and to use as an alternate on those days when your other holster gets sweat-soaked and needs time to dry out.

A couple of years ago I ordered another Safariland Model 27 to use with a Smith and Wesson 640-1 revolver, and I like that particular holster much less because it carries the weapon too high for my tastes.

In summary, I suppose it depends on which weapon you are ordering the holster for :)

Best of luck...

-Tim