Anybody speak Spanish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to help a friend with a translation. What are the proper Spanish words for "hammer " and "trigger"?

I'm coming up with "martillo" and "gatillo," but my dictionary implies that a martillo is a carpenter's claw hammer, so that's a transliteration, but I don't know if it's correct in the context of a firearm. My dictionary also says that "gatillo" can mean both the hammer and the trigger of a firearm, but the original text needs to distinguish between the hammer and trigger, so it would be rather silly to say "gatillo y gatillo."

Can someone help me out here?

WARNING: If you help with this, I may have more questions down the road. :cool:

[Edit to add] Also need the proper term for over-travel (as referring to the over-travel adjustment screw on a 1911 trigger)

GJeffB

from google translate:
tornillo para limitar el viaje
With viaje translating to "trip," otherwise "screw to limit [trip/travel]
lo mejor que yo tengo

-jb quien entiendo muy poco :eek:

44 AMP

Staff
Other languages terms for firearms parts can be quite literal or really strange seeming, unless you understand the reasoning behind them.

In German, the name for the hammer is "Hahn" which is often found translated as "rooster". Male chicken. a Cock rooster...
possibly where the English term for "cocking the gun" comes from, pulling back on the cock of a wheel lock or flint lock, etc. or vice versa..

A term for the barrel is "Lauf" which comes from the verb Laufen, which means to run. A Lauf is a run, like perhaps a dog run, and its the part the bullet "runs" down when fired.

A German gun (like a Luger) might say "gesichert" where an English gun says "safe". "Sicher" in this context is translated as "secure" so when on safe, a German gun is "made secure" in literal translation. In another context "Sicher" can mean certain, or sure. Bist du Sicher? means "are you sure?" but could also mean "is your gun on safe?" in the right context.

Context really, really matters.

44 AMP said:
Other languages terms for firearms parts can be quite literal or really strange seeming, unless you understand the reasoning behind them.
Context really, really matters.

And that's precisely why I don't want to (and can't) rely on Google or Bing translator. That's why I asked for someone who speaks Spanish. I'm only being asked to help out with a couple of paragraphs, but they have to be correct, not computer-generated transliterations.

A native speaker of Spanish would be ideal.

chris downs

Believe it or not (and you are definitely the skeptical type, hence my advice to look it up), on Spanish gun forums, overtravel in English is also overtravel in Spanish for the Spanish speaking gun people. So it is a "el tornillo de overtravel" among Spanish speaking M1911 aficionados. To non-gun people, "tornillos con límites" might be helpful.

I found a guy who was in charge of firearms for a police department in Mexico for seven years. Overtravel screw is either "tope" or "tornillo de tope."

I think I have all the terms translated that I need. Thanks.

Pistoler0

Believe it or not (and you are definitely the skeptical type, hence my advice to look it up), on Spanish gun forums, overtravel in English is also overtravel in Spanish for the Spanish speaking gun people. So it is a "el tornillo de overtravel" among Spanish speaking M1911 aficionados. To non-gun people, "tornillos con límites" might be helpful.

"tornillo de limite" or "tornillo de tope" o "tornillo de sobrecarrera".

I suspect those forums you mentioned are spanish forums for US based spanish speaking gun enthusiast. The military and police at least in my country (Spain) do not use anglicized terms, and no military manual in Spain would use them either. Much less a compound word such as "over-travel screw" (if you could hear their troubles pronouncing a simpler word such as "whiskey"... :rolleyes: )

ms6852

We normally call the over travel screw,"un tortilla de viaje excesivo en un arma" Literally, translated it is an over travel screw in a gun.

Pistoler0

We normally call the over travel screw,"un tortilla de viaje excesivo en un arma" Literally, translated it is an over travel screw in a gun.
he he, your auto correct changed "tortilla" for "tornillo".

Either that or you are already hungry this morning and you had a freudian slip : )

ms6852 said:
Who is "we"?

I have access to multiple on-line translators, an off-line translator,and at least three good English-Spanish dictionaries. I'm not looking for transliterations. I've been asked for help by someone in the firearms industry, who is looking at creating a web page for selling in Spanish-speaking countries. To do it right, I need to know the terms that would be used by native speakers in South America. My [adult] step-son has evinced some interest in firearms and, knowing that I'm a shooter, we have had some discussions. Nothing highly technical, but I can't imagine him ever using or comprehending a term such as "tornillo de viaje excesivo en un arma."

No, I'm not going to ask my step-son. He knows a lot less about guns than he thinks he knows, so he would not be a knowledgeable or reliable resource.

ballardw

Part of this discussion might need "which Spanish"? Dialects are common and even technical terms can change by audience. If the audience is in Spain you may want a different term than for Argentina.

Pistoler0

Part of this discussion might need "which Spanish"? Dialects are common and even technical terms can change by audience. If the audience is in Spain you may want a different term than for Argentina.
By looking at the website for Rowa rifles for sale in Spain (prices in Euros),

a drop-in barrel is a "barril intercambiable" o "cañón intercambiable".

and overtravel screw is: "tornillo de desplazamiento del disparador"

http://compraventadearmas.com/rifles-de-cerrojo/1321-rifle-rowa-titan-16-rectilineo.html

Status
Not open for further replies.