Anybody own/use a bore sighter?

SAWBONES

I'm considering purchasing a bore sighter in order to get "on paper" quickly when sighting in scopes at 100 yards.
Brownells offers several types (near lens grid, mirror, laser) and brands, and I have no experience with any of 'em.
I'd be using it for .223 and .308 caliber rifles with 2-10X power scopes.
Anyone on the board with experience-recommendations as to which type of bore sighting equipment to get? Thanks in advance for any replies.

------------------
"Potius sero quam nunquam."

Imbroglio

I have used both the laser type and the type that places the sighting assembly at the muzzle end.

The laser type requires that the beam be centered in the bore. The one that I used worked by placing the laser in the chamber and a laser channeling device in the muzzle. The sighting target has to be placed at least 25 feet away.

Benefits: Can be used in any gun as long as the laser and channeling device can be centered in the bore regardless of scope height. Does not require an offset device.

Drawbacks: Not precisely repeatable if scope is resighted. Requires target to be set up on a wall.

The collimator type (I think that is what it is called), requires that the sighting device be placed at the muzzle end. When looked at through the scope, this provides a sighting grid.

Benefits: Can easily be used in the field as no sighting target is required. Zeroed scope can be verified and repeated due to the sighting grid.

Drawbacks: Requires that sighting assembly be at same height as scope. AR15 carry handle mounted or other high mount scopes require the purchase of a offset device.

Dave R

Sawbones, if you are talking about a bolt-action rifle, the following works with no equipment whatsoever. If you are already familiar with this, I apologize for stating the obvious.

1. Get the rifle real steady on lots of sandbags or equivalent.
2. Remove the bolt so you can look right through the bore.
3. Adjust the rifle/sandbags combo, etc., until you look right through the bore onto the Point of Impact you want. Make sure everything is steady!
4. Adjust the crosshairs on the scope until thay are at the same point as your bore is pointing.
5. Replace the bolt and fire to check. You should be pretty close.

Worked real well for me the first time I tried.

JimFox

I have no experience with mechanical bore sighting equipment.

I have, for many years, used Dave R's method with good results. The only thing I would add to his comments is that I have found it very helpful to use an aiming point that has a right angle to it - such as a cornor to a building/room, or where the wire is attached to a fence post.

------------------
Jim Fox

JimWolford

I have a collimator type bore sighting device, picked it up at a gun show ( used ) for $30 along with a whole bunch of different calibers of bore "spuds"

One drawback, each different bore size requires a proper sized spud or rod that slides down the bore and the device clamps onto. Plus side- they are cheap<s>

I use mine for all sorts of things, like installing new open sights on muzzleloaders, etc.

It even worked when I scoped my revolver, got me close enough that I was on the paper with the first shot.

I like mine fine.

Jim

------------------
Lay up some blackpowder and flints
The rest we can build, if need be

ARshooter

I have always used the method described by Dave R. It is easy and relatively accurate. If done correctly it will get you "on paper". And that is all you really want. The remainder of the scope corrections can be made based on where your shots show up on the target.

Be sure to optically center your scope prior to bore sighting. This will give you the greatest amount of crosshair adjustment.

AlanD

I have an Alpec laser boresighter (purchased from Brownells). It is bullet shaped (accommidates 223 & 308 rifles), fits within the chamber, and is turned on by closing the bolt.

I have used it to sight-in a 3.5-10x scope as well as an Aimpoint red dot. The laser is not very powerful, so it must be used in relative darkness. I used a long hall (60 feet) within my house, which was adequate (but not ideal) for the job. The 3.5-10x sight-in worked fine, putting me within 2 inches of point-of-impact at 25 yards when I made it to the range. The Aimpoint was slightly more problematic, as the optics of the sight reduced the intensity of the laser, making it hard to see in relation to the sight's red dot (but it still worked).

In addition to "getting you on paper", the laser provides several other functions. If you are new to rifle scopes, you can "play" with the sight's adjustments to see the affect on point of aim. Finally, you can see how well the adjustments (scope movements) track vertically and horizontally, to determine if the scope is mounted correctly.

I hope this helps. Overall, it's a great item to borrow from someone else, since it is infrequently used.

Alan

anti-disarmist

Check out www.spotsight.com Latest issue of Soldier of Fortune gave it a great review. Price is $139 (article & website say $189, but it's wrong).

[This message has been edited by anti-disarmist (edited November 03, 2000).]

weegee

Leupold has just announced a new bore sighter that looks intriguing. It attaches to the barrel, across the end, using a powerful magnet--no spuds needed. The 'extension' or 'cross-bar' with the magnet is long enough that it probably would accomodate even very high scopes (like in AR's) and will work on shotguns as well. I want one! (And I just recently bought a Bushnell bore sighter!)

Pric IIRC is to be only about $40.00!