Anybody own and shoot a S&W Sigma?

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Yep, I haven't seen one YET that would complete a police qualification course without becoming a JAM-O-MATIC;
in both 9m/m and .40S&W caliber's.:eek::rolleyes:

Regards,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

3 gun

hit or miss

I have one in 9mm. Can't get it to stop. 500 rounds of mixed ammo (HP,lead,ball;115-147) without cleaning, just a couple of drops of CLP on the slide rails, then a weekend steelplate shoot. No problems. Biggest downside is the no +p rating, which is not a problem in 40. Sigmas seem to have/had a QA problem from the wide range of reports, good and bad, seen here at TFL. Which side will this Sigma fall into is anybodies guess. How good is the price, how much can you spend, and will this be your only pistol are all questions to answer before buying. Good luck and keep us posted.

James K

Member In Memoriam
I have a first generation Sigma in .40 S&W. It functions fine with almost everything except one brand of ammo, but I can't hit anything with it due to the trigger pull. It seems to have a built in jerk that I have not been able to overcome, and I have shot a handgun a little bit.

Jim

BadShot

We've got a fairly new Sigma in 9mm. It hasn't misfed a single round in about 750 rounds. It's plenty accurate. I don't care for the trigger, but I'm used to shooting a 1911 style gun.

Sigmas are a POS

I have seen more reliability problems, durability problems, and poor triggers in Sigmas than any other handgun design (not counting the true "Saturday Night Specials"). The quality control is so poor on Sigmas that it makes Taurus look like a top notch quality maker (which its not).

[Edited by Quantum Singularity on 11-25-2000 at 12:41 AM]

Marcus

If Sigmas were built with a little more quality control and TLC the`d be the equal of most things out there. But alas they`re not. Still a Sigma is NOT a POS. Most of the crappy trigger pull is simply due to stampings and castings with totally unfinished edges bearing on each other. Smooth the edges up and the trigger is still nothing to rave about but it`s as good as 1/2 of the other service autos on the market. Reliability? I put about 4000rds. through mine without a SINGLE jam. Everything from really light 180gr. LSWC 3D reloads to 135gr. Corbons. In shooting drills is held it`s own with anything. Pointability and control were great. Bullseye accuracy was never anything to brag about though and "standard cap" mags cost a fortune which is why I sold it. Its current owner is still fairly happy with it though after shooting my CZ-75 he too is looking at selling it. Bottom line,the Sigma is a good design that`s somewhat poorly produced but if you can get a good used one for cheap you could do worse. Fire it first if you can. Marcus

rblack

My Sigma has been back to S&W 2 times to get a fix, I don't carry it for SD, but I love the feel of the gun. It has never had a misfeed in hundreds of rounds, and is very accurate.
Both times it broke was while I was dry firing it and something broke in the slide. But I still like the way it shoots, just wouldn't bet my life on it.

Mike Davies

Thanks for all the feedback, guys...very much appreciated. I was aware 'up front' that there were feeding reliability problems with some Sigma's, and the trigger was 'awful'.
I think that I will pass on the Sigma, even though the price is right. I am told that S&W actually pay royalties to Glock for some of the features of the Sigma. Maybe I'll look at a Glock. I do like a good solid steel pistol though, like my 1911.<s>
Anyway, thanks again for all the thoughtful and insightful replies!
Mike

Adventurer_96

Sigma 380

I bought a Sigma 380 when I was living in Massachusetts (where we make great guns but you can't own them) mainly because the gun dealer told me they'd be banned in the state soon!

I like the lines on the pistol since it's very concealable. HOWEVER, it has jammed a few times on me. I think this may have been due to a light load in the ammo I was using. I have since switched loads if I ever have it as a PPW, but until I buy my PPK/S it will have to do. It is fairly natural to point and shoot, although the sights on the slides will never give you a great grouping IMHO.

La perte des armes est la fin de la liberte.

EnochGale

Trash. Terrible jammers - not all, but enough to doubt the gun. The 40 mags had a screw up supreme.

In fact, they were the gun that SW stole from Glock and
since it flopped they went down the road to hell with the sellout.

Jason Demond

I guess I was lucky

I have a 9mm and a 40 they both have about 3000 rounds through them without any problems.
Matter of fact I liked them so much I wanted to get the 357 sig version, well until S&W made a deal with the devil!!