Anybody own a Hi Point carbine?

trkkshotbry

Hello all.
I own a Hi Point 45acp carbine and I love it. Like any relationship this one took some work. I smoothed and polished anything that rubbed against anything else, installed an aftermarket trigger and magazine catch to allow use of hi capacity 1911 magazines which also required fitting shims inside the mag well to account for the difference in magazine width between the HP mags and colt 15 rnd mags. I also attached a cheap BSA red dot sight.
Now my elcheapo carbine runs better and shoots straighter than my buddies JR carbine, or his Keltec. Woo hoo.
Now I'm seriously considering rechambering it to shoot 460Rowland for 44mag power levels or better. Has anyone else done this mod?
I know HPs get a bad rap because out of the box they require the owner to "finish" the gun but how do the guys on this board feel about theirs?

Garycw

I have a couple 9mm's I acquired cheap for barter but never have shot. Have a used .40 that shoots reliably and straight. Fun to shoot and never a problem with no mods

shouldazagged

Call me a sentimental old fool, but I can't see myself buying a new gun that needs that much work out of the box. I no longer have the income to buy guns; but if I did I'd prefer something that was good to go when I unpacked and cleaned it.

On the other hand, I read a lot of posts from folks who like their Hi-Point carbines just fine.

benatilstate

HAD one.... Im a great case study in why you shouldnt sell guns. I had a whole bunch before I got married, including a Hi Point 9mm, but sold it. Now that Im married and theres a second set of eyes on the checkbook, buying new guns (or replacing guns I should never have sold) has become much more difficult.

The HiPoint sure was fun though - I do hope to replace it one day.

Garycw

Shoulda zagged I think they're good to go right outta the box. As far as accessories & tweeking is just personal preference. Even though they're inexpensive I've never had any problems with there pistols either.

jonnyc

I love my 995.
I have modified mine a bit, but it didn't NEED anything to be reliable and accurate.

trkkshotbry

My HP didn't actually "need" anything to be accurate and reliable but it wasn't up to par in terms of how smoothly it would operate. Because all the cast Zamac alloy pieces are painted the first couple of times its fired the paint gets scratched off the mating surfaces and the resulting "grit" just grinds on whatever's rubbing.
So what I did was take some green scotchbrite pad, 0000 steel wool, or 1000 grit emery cloth and go to work on all the mating surfaces and the feed ramp. Especially in the area where the trigger arm and sear arm come together and bear against the side of the receiver. Also because the cast pieces are so pourus I sprayed "dry film lube" aka graphite on those surfaces, rubbed it in and kept adding more until the metal couldn't hold any more.
The end result is my carbine operates smoother and just as slick as any of the guns I've shot costing 2 or 3 times what my HP did. Also the stock HP trigger pull is long and heavy but with the polishing and aftermarket trigger I also polished the face of the sear where it engages the firing pin, being careful not to change the angle. The sum total of all my efforts lowered the trigger pull weight from about 15lbs to a not great but acceptable for its intended purpose 6.6lbs.

I agree that one shouldn't have to go through all this on a brand new rifle but for the price a HP can't be beat and I'd be fiddling with it anyway so its all good. Has anybody else done something similar to theirs or does everyone just accept it for what it is or sell it for scrap?

Bamashooter

I have a 995 9mm carbine. I put a cheap BSA red dot scope on it that's a good sight considering. The Hi-Point has been nothing but reliable. Mine came with 3-10rd magazines and they all work good. Cool carbine for $225 I gave for it.

spacecoast

My 9mm works very well. I cleaned the paint off the feed ramp before I ever shot it and have never had a feeding issue. The trigger isn't very good but it goes bang every time.

trkkshotbry

I can tell you how to improve the feel and lower the weight of your trigger. You don't have to buy the aluminium trigger to get good results. Its a bit detailed to type it up here and now but pm me and ill do my best. Or I bet you could find a video about it on YouTube.

skizzums

we have alot of guns, and my girlfriend's gun of choice for plinking is always her 9mm hipoint carbine. it always makes me somewhat angry with how accurate that little gun is, and its alot of fun, wish it had better options for an extended mag cuz itll blow through ammo fast. i think the hipoint carbine is a great beginner gun and a gun for younger folks gettin into it. btw, i cant say for others experiences, but we have at least 5k through the carbine with not even a single call to hipoint, i cant say that for most of my more expensive guns.

p.s. the pistols are junk, i say from experience