Anybody order from Southern Ohio Gun?

Icopy

I'm thinking about ordering a used handgun form Southern Ohio Gun. Does anybody have experience ordering firearms from them? The ad says the revolver is in very good condition. Are their rating accurate? I've ordered from some companies where very good condition mean it was dragged by a truck on the way to your house, but will still work. Any input would be helpful.

Tropical Z

I never order anything from SOG that doesn't claim to be "excellent or like new".My experience with them has shown that they tend to claim a grade higher than what the gun should actually be.The only exception to this would be something like a Turkish mauser where everybody seems to have the same grade of gun.;)

jayhway

I just had my FFL order me a 3" Ruger GP100 from SOG, which may be the gun that you're interested in. I chose the option of getting the gun handpicked, but I'm sure if they really do. But I got it just for piece of mind.

Anyways, some guy in another forum got one form SOG, and he said the gun does show some wear, but that this can be polished away. However he said that the internals were great and the gun fired well. I've also read that SOG has a no hassle exchange process if you're not happy with the gun.

Well I hope this helps. I tell you about my gun in about 2 weeks (CA waiting period :mad: )

PS: If you're from CA, they'll tell you at first that the gun isnt CA compliant, but it is. Took me a week to convince them of that. Talk to Renee, she's the rep that told me its ok to buy.

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
SOG - - -

Haven't personally bought from them in the past 10 years or so. I still have a Canadian Inglis Browning High Power and a No. 4 Mark 1 SMLE I got from 'em. Both were as represented, condition-wise, both worked fine, and each has been an incredible value for the money spent.

A friend bought a Swiss military rifle from SOG a couple of weeks ago, and paid the extra $10 for "Hand Picked." It was very nice and looks to be a good value. It sure shoots well, if the target he brought by is any indication. He said the order arrived promptly and the person with whom he spoke was very nice.

Best,
Johnny

SGT405

I currently order from them for my FFL and have never had to send anything back. Always polite and nice. Remember, you are buying a "used" weapon so it will have wear.

I have had mixed experiences with SOG. I have ordered several items from them through my local dealer; all were milsurp rifles. I think they tend to grade high and I honestly don't believe that paying for a handpicked specimen actually means anything. I ordered a couple of Moison Nagants from them last year. My dealer decided to order himself an mauser at the same time. My MNs we OK and cleaned up nice. His mauser was "handpicked". I swear to you, this is no exageration. If you took a nice rifle and dropped it in the ocean for a year, it might be better than his mauser. I have never seen a bigger POS in my life. This rifle very well may have laid in a Polish farmers field since the 1939 invasion. It was covered with rust and dirt. On the plus side, they exchanged it with no questions asked; after he paid the shipping both ways.

Eric Larsen

Ive seen guns come from SOG that are top notch..if they say they are. "Handpicked" means the guy in the warehouse looks at a couple of them and grabs one.....seems like it sometimes.
You have to order thru an FFL that is established with them.
Shoot well

Fred S

I've ordered many milsurps from them. I usually get the handpicked and have received pretty good guns. Remember you are buying used to very used military pieces so the condition will vary. I would say they grade fairly.

The only problem I ever had was on a Maadi AK clone. I had to send it back three times to get one with sights that would zero. But they did the exchange withoput complaint each time.

jayhway

I called SOG yesterday and had them clarify what "handpicked" really meant. The rep told me that handpicked means a worked will randomly choose 10 of one item, and from the 10 they choose the one that is visually the best.

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
jayhway - - -

That's the exact same answer when I called 'em in late 1992 and asked about their Inglis Brownings. The very pleasant woman further said they guns came in a barrel full of cosmoline or the local equivalent. They would take out ten, wipe 'em off, pick the best of those, and ship it. Given how gummy that stuff is, ten bucks is mot an unreasonable price for that particular service.

I detail stripped the pistol, put all the parts in a double boiler and bubbled them vigorously for about 15 minutes. Spread them out on a terry cloth towel, brushed them with solvent, wiped and oiled them, and reassembled. Worked very well.

A friend told me later that he just takes his long guns to a do-it-yourself car wash late at night, pulls the bolt, uses the degreaser fluid, then high pressure soap and high pressure rinse, This does an excellen job on exterior and action inards, but long guns still need detail stripping, or at least removal of the stock.

Icopy, good luck on your purchase.

Best,
Johnny

straightShot

I've gotten things from them in the past. I have not had any problems with them except that I did order a few Romanian .22s from them that were on sale a while ago. Saving a few bucks, I decided to put some of this 'saved' money back into being 'handpicked'.

Many months later, after receiving these Romanian .22s, I found that one of these 'handpicked' beauties lacked a firing pin!...(I'll find one, oneday)...

'Handpicked' means that they take an extra $10 off of you and 'perhaps' send you a better looking gun, no more.

I won't spend $10 extra on the handpicked option. I've ordered from them since and had decent luck not going this route.

Good luck,

straightShot

Frenchy

I've dealt with SOG for many years both on and off my C&R license, and have not been dissapointed with their product or service.