Anybody loading 308 for long range? (1000 Yrds)

Hardegg

I have been talking with people that have been doing long range shooting and the majority of them want a velocity of 2700 to 2750 fps for 1000 yrd shots.
I will be doing this next spring and have been working on loads for this. Many of you will remeber my last handloading question. I never had so much response:)
Anyway I have switch components and dropped pressures .
Currantly loading with:
RE-15
Winchester Brass
Sierra SMK's 175 gr
Federal 210M primers

Did an OCW test from 42.5 Gr up to 44.3 with zero signs of pressure

Fps ranged from 2615 on the low end with fair accuracy at 100 yrs to less than fair at 300 yards. Up to 2755 which I discontinued after a couple of rounds because shots were starting to open up again from lower loads.

44.0 grs gave me a 1 1/8th at 300 yrds 2723fps . However My Optimal charge was somewhat lower (according to OCW Test, 43.5 grs 2683 ) still, but not as tight.
Does anybody load for this range. I am wanting to remain supersonic at 1000yrds. would you push for the 2700 - 2750 range?

I am pretty much going to settle for 43.5 and tighten up my groups with OAL changes I am figuring the 40 FPS won't make a significant differance.

I had no signs of pressure checking each cartridge carefully. I only state this due to some who responed to last post.
I am hoping to find someone who has experiance with long range accuracy

L Puckett

Hardegg,

The 2725-2735 fps area generally is a good harmonic node. Your results at 300 yrds demonstrate that. You might want to take that as a center point (speed) and load up and down in .1 grn (tenths) to see how wide the node is and if you are in "the center" of the node. Shoot for groups at 300 yrds or more.

I do not recommend this (below) to you, but:

The .308 175 SMK has another real nice node in the low to mid-2800's. But your rifle and brass is being stressed a good bit. A custom rifle chamber and blueprinted action with Lapua or RWS brass is recommended before you go that high in pressure.

LP

Jim Watson

44.0 grs gave me a 1 1/8th at 300 yrds 2723fps

If your OCW does not beat that, why fool with it?
That sounds like a good load to me, as long as it is not showing signs of excess pressure. I am running in the same regime, only with AA2520.

Hardegg

I agree I don't really want to mess with that grouping.
I was really kind of surprized when when I shot it.

I was going to go straight to OAL testing with my OCW charge but I have heard enough people confirming the 2725 range. Puckett I tink I will take your advice and make the smaller increment changes to find center of that "node"
hmm good word to.

I have my brass prepped and am loading tonight and hope to skip work Friday morning and follow up on testing. I feel food poisoning or something coming on maybe the flu. :)

Zak Smith

We shoot to 1000 often with 308's. Popular loads include:

175 SMK, 44 - 45.0gr Varget, for 2700fps in most 24-26" guns

155 Lapua Scenar, 45.5 - 47.0gr Varget, for 2825 - 2925fps in most 24-26" guns

The 155 Scenar will actually have less drop and wind to 1000 than the 175.

I have read in the book black magic that h4895 is the most accurate powder for the 308 caliber..Just thought I would mention it because I use it exclusively for all my 223 ar15 ammo(mostly for 77 smk loaded for 600yrds)and love its consistency with any load I have used and the way it meters so well in my measure.. just a thought:D

Hardegg

Bucky I have heard same thing, Actually 3 powders stood out as being highly recommended so I just had to make a choice The Hogdon H4895,
Hogdon 4064 and the RE-15.

So far I am doing good with the RE15 but it's early still. Check my lastest thread I am post a pic of today's OAL test with it.

Last edited: