Anybody load for a BAR in .30-06?

spencerhut

I just wish I had a BAR to work up a pet load for. Assuming you are referring to a real BAR, not a new one of course.

amamnn

The M1918 (BAR) being a gas operated rifle requires just a little extra care to reload successfully and safely. To this end, reading the FREE chapter on reloading for gas operated military type rifles and their cousins at the Sierra website (exterior ballistics) is well worth the effort. Following that, a trip to the Hodgon or Vihtavuori websites will reveal FREE reloading data, if one cares to use quality powders.................................

steve4102

30-06 Browning Safari, no BOSS, not new LongTrac.

150gr Partitions, Ramshot BigGame :D

190gr Hornady Interlock, Ramshot Hunter :D

I tried 150gr 165gr, 180gr, 190gr and 200gr, this bullet, that bullet, this powder, that powder and then I finally found magic in the two loads above.

crimsondave

HA! I wish I had real BAR! It's a new Longtrac BAR.

Steve, do you think 150 gr balistic tips would shoot much dif. than partitions? I have a ton of BTs.

steve4102

Only a guess, but I would suspect the BT's may shoot better than most bullets in your BAR. They are known for accuracy. I personally don't use them for hunting when velocities run above 2600-2700fps. Had to many bad experiences with them exploding on impact, YMMV.

jepp2

My loads for my BAR never achieved the accuracy I wanted. I was loading Sierra 150 gr. SPT bullets. They performed well on deer.

One caution! While hunting from a tree stand, and repeatedly loading the same round (each time I climbed up and down the steps) resulted in the bullet moving forward until it lodged in the rifling, and only the case came back when I opened the action. No cannelure ring on the bullet and I didn't crimp. Just make sure you rotate rounds. I see the same thing happening in AR's. I have more problems with bullet movement forward, than being driven back into the case.

crimsondave

Thanks for the warning. I always crimp the bullets I use in automatics, but I'll keep that in mind. I have a factory crimp die that will cut its own groove.

I have some 180 gr BTs that would keep the velocity down some. I may try them too.