Anybody like/dislike the 586?

omegapd

You always hear about it's sister, the 686, but not a lot about the 586...

I picked this one up on-line a week or so ago. Got it in today. Gonna try and make it over to the range this weekend.

GUN045.jpg

Shaun

i have a 686 but if could have found a nice 586 i would have gotten that instead. Nothing beats a blued revolver for looks IMHO

dutchy

25 years of use and still shooting like a razor.
I was one of the very first to buy one in holland.
To be honest, I only use mild to moderate handloads. It is absolutely fabulous on the shells. The first (federal) shells started to give after at least 50 times reloading. The only thing I disliked from the begining were it's grips. to small for my big paws. (normal square frame, not like yours)
I allready owned a Sauer & sohn DA .22lr/.22magnum (copy of S&W .22 masterpiece K frame) with the perfect grips. Got an extra set, put it on the S&W, fits like a glove, shoots like hell.
I also must admit to some serious gun abuse.
Last time I cleaned it must be at least years ago, I am still waiting for the first misfire. I only use self cast RCBS SWC's although Lee's SWC were better, until the mould died on me.

Good choice, never get rid of it, it will last you a lifetime probably even without proper care.

18DAI

I've got a 586-5 PC L-comp. It shoots great. The 586 is my prference in L frames (pre lock of course). Regards 18DAI.

10s&Xs

Big fan of the L frame Smith in general. Have a 6" 586 and a 4" 686. Only thing they've needed was different grips. Partial to the Hogue line (wood for the 586, synthetic on the 686.)

NGP58

I picked up a 586-4 4" last Summer. I really like it! Shoots great,super trigger. I also have a 686-1 4", and a 686-6 2 1/2". No problems with any of my "L" frames......Norm.
100_0162.jpg
[/IMG]

DPris

Member Emeritus
The original six-shot blued 586 was one of S&W's best revolver models ever. Accurate, good balance, durable, not too heavy & not too light.
Denis

NGP58

Thanks Camaroman_99 but i'll think that i'll pass...If I sold it i'd always regret that I did. Keep looking,the're out there. I just happened to be at the right place/ right time.......Norm.

schmeky

I have an early model 586 with a 6" barrel in Nickel. Still looks new after thousands and thousands of rounds and is an absolute tack driver.

The original untuned action is smooth as silk, the lock-up is tight, and the action is crisp with an excellent SA/DA trigger pull.

You can pay more, but the 586 (no longer made, but easy to find used) has got to be one of the all time most versatile, durable, and affordable .357's ever made.

I have owned many .357's, this is the only one I still own.

chupps

Unfortunately, I can only justify owning one handgun. I chose the S&W 586, blue steel, six inch barrel. No regrets. I hope I'm around when my great grandson learns how to shoot it.

Jeff #111

Picked up a 6" 586 no dash back in November. It had the original factory target grips on it. It was priced at $300.00, but I traded a 22 rifle and got it for $225.00. Sent it to the factory for the modification (bushing and hammer) the day after Thanksgiving and had it back in a week.

It's an excellent shooter. It's finish is beautiful and it has a sweet action. An action that hasn't been tuned I might add. They are very easy to find right now, but if the market for S&W wheelies keeps on it's path folks will start to scarf up the older L frames as well. Just like the way the Model 15's and 28's are being grabbed now.

TexasCop

love it, I just find that they aren't that common out there. I still looking to pick up a good 581 to match up with my 681 (fixed sights)

carl418

I have a 586-4, 6" blued, that is just great!! I have other Smith's, but this is the one I take to the range on a regular basis. It's also a model that I just don't see for sale that often... not nearly as often as 686's. I, for one, would not trade mine for a 686. The blueing just looks 'right' to me!

PythonGuy

About a month ago I bought a 586 no dash off of Auction Arms with the box, paperwork and accessories in unfired condition. Its got the target grips, hammer and trigger, blued like the day it came from S&W. Along with the Model 27-2, 686 and others, they are classic guns the likes of which will never be made again I'm afraid. Enjoy it and good shooting....