Anybody know much about the Bergara B14?

2DaMtns

I've been thinking about getting a new rifle and found these in my research. The Bergara barrels and custom rifles seem to have a great reputation, but I can't find a whole lot of information about the B14. The Timber is a beautiful rifle, and I'm considering one as my next acquisition. Anyone seen, handled, or shot one?

jmr40

Handled one with the green synthetic. Read some very positive reviews. Overall I liked the looks and feel of the one I handled. The street price at Sportsmans Warehouse was $699.99.

If funds are available after the 1st of the year I may buy one. I've been itching to try 6.5 Creedmoor and this may be the platform I'm looking for.

shootniron

If the rifles are like the barrels...they are great.

I have a Bergara barrel on a single shot handgun...it is the REAL DEAL...laser accurate.

Wyosmith

I have only seen one briefly.

The bolt handle may or may not be soldered on like a Remington. It also may be a solid handle like that of the HOWA, Winchester or Ruger 77. I could not find out.

It is another push feed action, and has a sliding "T" head extractor like the Savage, Ruger American, Mossberg and HOWA. So I would not rate it any better than any of the other extractors on the market, and would rate it underneith the Winchester M70 Controlled Feed and the Ruger M77 Mk2.

The barrels get a lot of talk, but the 2 men I know in Reno who own them say they are about as accurate as their other rifles, and less so then the Ruger American and one Winchester. 2 Rifles is not a definitive test, but so far what I am told is that the barrels are good but not outstanding.

The Ruger American is often outstanding and we see super accurate Weatherbys and HOWAs too at times.

My friend Randy has one in 270 and also a Winchester Stainless 270 and says the M70 shoots 1/2" and the Bergara shoots about 1" He has a Ruger American in 308 that shoots about 1/2" also, and cost a lot less than the Bergara. He and I were talking about this very issue just 3 night ago. He says the Ruger is a much better value.

In my opinion they are prettier than the Savage but not as pretty as a Win M70 Featherweight. Much better looking than the Mossberg.

All told, they sound good but not great. They are going to have a steep up-hill fight to get more sales than the American made Rugers, Savages or the imported Winchesters, Weatherbys or HOWAs.

My best guess is that they are coming into a market dominated by other brands and they offer nothing to make anyone look at them any harder than they would look at the other brands.

The cost of the Bergara is higher than some of what we already have available, and equal to some of the others.
Equal features at equal price is not a good way to break into a market and expect to give any incentives for customers to try them. Some will, but many will stick with what they already know and trust.

I don't expect them to take a very large chunk of the American market very fast.
Maybe over time they will gain ground. We'll see.

Scorch

While I haven't shot one, I have handled them. Basically a Remington 700 clone. Very nicely done. I would guess they will shoot well, Bergara makes great barrels.