Anybody here have a M1919A4 semi auto?

p99guy

Well, I was thinking of buying something different than the normal, when I get a 401 payout in Jan. , and got to thinking about the semi auto Browning belt fed guns. Anybody here have one?
Is it fun/neet/intresting enough to lug a gun and tripod out to the range? Any regrets buying one? Im sure my wife will just love it replacing the coffee table as a conversation peice of furnature lol.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ethan95

:eek: i have gotta say, i have never seen any one shoot one. Nor do i know anyone who owns one. But if you've got the money for the gun/ammo. By all means, get yourself a M1919A4 :D. Expect to get alot of "conversation" at the range (aka: can i shoot it).

Edit: Come to think of it i know a guy who used to have a semi-auto m60, he loved it, he shot it all the time. Never once a problem with any one at the range.

Last edited:

p99guy

Well the budget allowed a FN SCAR 5.56....I can get the basic 1919 cheaper than the FN. And it goes well with my WW2 stuff. The prices on these are starting to climb as this batch of gun kits dry up...so its now or forget it. It was the same situation with the semi auto M60...but they started out of my league and climbed from there.

p99guy

On the plus side.... One can configure this gun to shoot 4 different
Calibers, . 308/.30-06/8mm/7.62x54
And get picitinny scope rails. The semi autos are said to be somewhat accurate as well. Lone Wolf Dist ( the glock parts folks) is where I will end up getting mine.

HKFan9

I would def but that over the SCAR thats for sure...:cool:

Belt fed guns with big barrel shrouds are way cooler than a SCAR:)

p99guy

Yeah, despite the weight... It is cool.
It does present a new skill set to learn..whipping out the headspace tool every time you change .308 ammo brands. Well and then there are those cranks you can buy for them, if you do want to go through your ammo suppy quickly lol.
I never should have purchased that copy of HBO's "Pacific" , its turnimg out expensive!

brian45auto

they used to be so cheap to buy the kits and build. there's no way i would buy a pre built, but i only have about 1k into the whole works too. they are cool, but not really practical to shoot. 100-250 rounds goes down range in less than a minute or two. i shot 3006 till the surplus dryed up, then switched over to 8mm, but never ran any through it. but i have no desire to get rid of it either tho. it's a 5' tall, 45lbs black gun of fun times. as an addition to a ww2 collection it is a fine pc, that's one reason i went with one.

starting to climb? 6 years ago they were almost giving the kits away.

Attachments

• m1919a46.JPG
    m1919a46.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

p99guy

Yes,but what a difference 6 years makes( in everything) go on gun broker and the like, and they arent giving them away anymore. 6 years ago you couldnt give a belt linking machine away either... Now originals are at a thousand dollars! Now there is a cottage industry making hand linking machines for all the semi auto owners.

Satanic Toaster

One of my friends has one in .308 that he built probably 6 years ago or so. He hardly ever shoots it but it is a really fun gun to shoot. He has a 100 yard range set up in his backyard and we have taken it out a couple of times in the past 5 years. It is fun to shoot but is is really expensive to feed. we only fired around 300 rounds through it each time.

He says he has about $1,200 in the whole thing (gun itself, bipod, tripod, belts, etc.)

chuter

Got mine about six or so years ago. It's a Rapid Fire Of Ohio build. Got in on a group buy via www.1919a4.com. I had a M151A1 that I mounted it on. Having a nice solid mount like the MUTT allowed it to hold some tight patterns. Another friend had his mounted in his M4A3 Sherman (yes, tank). Now that was a firm mount. We didn't feel much recoil. :). I switched to the M151A2 with a M2 on it but I still have the 1919 in the gun safe.
My 1919 is in .308. Yes, the ammo is not cheap but the guns will digest just about anything you feed them and still function well.
I got in to the gun for $1k. Hard to beat.
We see them at local gun shows for $1500-2000 for gun only.
These things aren't light. I watch WWII newsreels and see GI's carry them around the battle field. Youth. I'll stick with a motorized mount. With age... comes wisdom.
Enjoy it.