Anybody have experience with the Walther P22?

shoop66

Hey, I'm just a kid and I'm getting a gun and am looking at the Walther P22 and Sig Sauer Mosquito, and want to know which one is better. I like them equally, just need some first hand reviews.

rduckwor

Neither. Get a Browning Buck Mark or Ruger Mark II or III. The P22 is a tiny little thing with a short sight radius. Hardly useful for plinking much less anything else. Good for carry at bad-breath range. But you really don't want a .22 for personal defense.

The Mosquito, while a good gun once broken in and sorted will give you fits trying to get to that point. The Browning and Rugers aren't "tacticool", but they do what they are supposed to do. Run right and throw those tiny little lead slugs.

RMD

NGIB

Have both and both are reliable and fun to shoot. If you're into serious target stuff, get a Ruger or Buckmark. If you want a fun plinker - either of these are fine. You'll read bad stuff about both but I own both and they are reliable and fun.

One tip - avoid Remington bulk ammo...

kristop64089

I have a P22, and while not the greatest gun, It's a good platform to learn on. It is a hammer fired 22, that closely resembles it's brother the p99. Mine has been flawless, and it devours Federal Bulk.

I do agree with others though: If you plan on it being a target gun, buy a browning or Ruger. But for a fun little blaster, the P22 is your gun.

Te Anau

Hey, I'm just a kid and I'm getting a gun and am looking at the Walther P22 and Sig Sauer Mosquito
Two of the worst choices you could possibly make.These guns look good,but are waaaay overpriced and will not hold up to the high volume of shooting a .22lr handgun is likely to encounter.They also quite frequently have issues with inexpensive bulk ammo which defeats the purpose of getting a .22lr in the first place.A far better choice would be a Beretta Neos or Ruger.Please reconsider. :)

MythBuster

I have no experience with the Sig 22 but I know more about the P-22 than I want to know.

They are made from cheap low quality materials and they WILL NOT hold up to a lot of shooting.

For what you have to pay for a P-22 you can buy a decent gun that will last you a lifetime and can be passed down to your kids and it will last them a lifetime.

If you are wanting something "cool" to play with buy the P-22.

Case closed.

waltherfan08

I like the P22

Just bought my third one recently, the other two I have had and sold to get other guns, there was nothing wrong with them.

If you just want a fun plinker and don't mind the $300+ price tag, the Walther P22 is a great gun. I don't know anything about the Sig 22 but I like that the walther's barrel is already threaded for a suppressor adapter.

It a great gun.

cchardwick

I vote for the P-22 because it has a threaded barrel and if another ban goes into place the price will skyrocket. Also if you do decided to get a silencer/suppressor than you have that option with the P-22 (if you don't mind the wait and all the paperwork). I have a P-22 with a red dot scope that I add/remove and with the red dot you get pin point accuracy. I've never had a problem with ammo, never had a jam at all as far as I can remember. I bring it to the range for when I get done shooting all my expensive ammo I can switch to my Walther P-22 and shoot all day for practically nothing. Its a great gun for those newbies that jump when my 44 mag goes BOOM!

gun3.jpg

mausercal65

P-22 walther

The P-22 is a good little pistol within it's limitations. It will cycle reliably with standard velocity ammo. Plus the barrel can be removed & replaced with a longer barrel/slide unit walther sells. Or it can be replaced with a threaded barrel for suppressor use. My favorite gun store here in my area (Gun Slingers ) sells these guns & stocks suppressors also. Also they are sold here with laser sights right out of the box. Just leave the hyper velocity stuff alone and a P-22 should serve you well.:)

NWCP

Get yourself a Browning Buckmark. Not a lot of money, accurate and reliable. A great pistol to learn on and grow with.

cnutco

Ruger is the .22 of choice for me... but I also have a P22. This is a great platform for my daughter to learn about center fire pistols. It is great for anyone to learn with!

VonFireball

I traded the wife's P22 for an old S&W.

I couldn't stand that little thing. What a POS. Sure, it gave reliable service, with about 600+ rounds down the pipe, but it reminds me of a bic lighter. Once it's toasted, just throw it in the garbage, or better yet, get $100 bucks for it at a "gun buyback" and then point and laugh at the moron who is handing out the credit cards.

They work fine. For now. In twenty years look on gunbroker to see how many are still working and for sale. They will either say "NIB" or "P22 parts"...lol..lol

I hate them junk guns. But what the hell, my wife wanted it and it gave me some peace and quiet for a few hours.

Hey, maybe some fool will trade yours for a mint old Smith too.:D

HisSoldier

Any gun with major parts made of zink (Zamak for purists) is a junk gun put out by dishonest manufacturers. I'd go father, but that's good enough for now. It's a bic.

RAnb

I have a P-22 and a buckmark and I can say the buckmark is much nicer as far as accuracy is concerned. The P-22 is easier to suppress as all it takes is the adapter verses cutting threads onto the buckmark barrel. The safety on the P-22 is up for fire and down for safe, opposite of what I ever expect to see on a pistol. Installing longer or shorter barrels on the buckmark is a snap too and there are many more barrels to choose from.

If you have very small hands, then the P-22 will fit you nicely.

Ranb

Te Anau

Any gun with major parts made of zink (Zamak for purists) is a junk gun put out by dishonest manufacturers.
WOW! That's pretty extreme even in the case of the P-22.I wouldn't go so far as to say that Walther is dishonest,they just follow the old PT Barnum saying (which really wasn't his).

woad_yurt

I have shot a few magazines through 3 P22s, none of them mine, and they all jammed on me. I'll pass.

PS: The slides seem to disintegrate on occasion, too. Google it.

CWiley

Walther fixed the feeding issues with new mags. It has a lifetime warranty through S&W so it will last you for as long as S&W is in business. I've put about 750 rounds through the gun and have had no feeding problems, jams etc... It was a pain in the ass to put back together in the beginning. After about 500 rounds getting it put back together is a snap. The gun looks awesome and has functioned great for me.

I've only fed it federal 530 high velocity and CCI minimag high velocity. Walther recommends you only feed it HV for proper function. Even the gucci .22LR ammo wont cost but a fraction compared to 9mm, .40, .45 or anything magnum.

Just my 2 cents but I wouldn't want to own just the P22. A 9mm gun would be cheap to shoot and you could use it for personal protection.

brett30030

I bought a new p22 and did all the F&B stuff from rimfirecentral. I still had ftf, fte, and other problems. Frame wear was ridicules for the number of rounds i put thru it. It tended to eject casings back at the shooter.

It is the only gun i have ever sold. Actually i traded it last Christmas day for a KT pf-9 at a loss. Do yourself a favor and don't buy one.

I really wanted to like it, but it is not worth it. Bought a Ruger and never looked back.

RamSlammer

Been there done that . . . I bought a P22, did the whole rigamarole to get a can on it, etc. . . . Was terribly inaccurate and finnicky about ammo, but hey it sure was quiet. It's been long since sold and replaced with a Buckmark that eats cheap Federal 550 round bricks and doesn't complain.