Anybody have a .40 Super?

Zander

There's a Bar-Sto barrel in .40 Super on its way to me for use/testing in my P220.

If you have anything in this caliber, where are you getting ammo for it other than directly from Triton?

Their Hi-Vel load pushes a 135 gr. bullet at 1800 fps out of a 5" barrel. Smokin'!!!

The P220 can barely handle prolonged use of 45 Plus P loads without failure. How long do you think that alloy receiver will last shooting 40 Super?

Robert

V-MAX

hello zander...

i am in the process of setting up a ruger p-90 to shoot 40 super/450 smc... just have not had the time to get it done yet... i have a fire dragon ported barrel and recoil reducer... will write it up when time permits... at this point... the only source of 40 super ammo that i know of is triton...

please let us know how your project goes...

regards... v.

Zander

"How long do you think that alloy receiver will last shooting 40 Super?" -- Robert

<sigh> You aren't one of those disciples of the Church of the Cracked SIG, are you? :rolleyes:

The P220 will get a new Wolff 24# recoil spring and I expect it to last a good long time. Of course, I actually did my research, including talking to the folks at Triton who developed the rounds. Not sure what your excuse is...

V-MAX...

I have seen exactly one pistol chambered in .450, six-inch barrel and all. Nice package and I'd like to shoot it. I'll let you know how the .40 Super performs in the P220; let us know how the Ruger platform works out.

Correia

I know that there are a handfull of .40 super shooters on this board, try a search. I posted this very question once and had a few replies (and some interesting debate) ;).

Personally I still have never shot one, but I find the idea very interesting. Some day I'm going to get a Springfield longslide, with and extra barrel in .40 Super.

Zander

Own plenty of P220's to know what they can and cannot do. Most of all, knowing what the limitations are of the materials. Alloys and 40 Super is a recipe for disaster. Ain't my gun and no skin of my back. Triton can tell you anything you want to hear, they are not liable if your gun fails. They are in the business to sell you bullets. That's it!

Good Luck

Robert

Zander

"Some day I'm going to get a Springfield longslide, with and extra barrel in .40 Super." -- Correia

That's the one example I've seen...and it had the .450 Colt [???] barrel; .40 Super barrels are readily available.

With a six-inch bbl. the Springfield ought to launch any weight bullet at a pretty high velocity.

Zander

"Alloys and 40 Super is a recipe for disaster." -- Robert

And your evidence for this is what, exactly?

"Ain't my gun and no skin of my back."

And certainly isn't your pistol, ammunition or time to test. That makes your absolute conviction that my testing will result in a "disaster" even more questionable. If, however, you have specific anecdotal results you can share with us, please enlighten the great unwashed. :rolleyes:

"Triton can tell you anything you want to hear, they are not liable if your gun fails."

I didn't ask Triton to accept any liability, only to share certain data with me so that I wouldn't have to do all the groundwork myself. I found them a whole lot more credible than you and your biased screed.

"They are in the business to sell you bullets. That's it!"

Triton is more than willing to accept my conclusions *after* I've tested their rounds; in point of fact, they'll have absolutely no input beforehand nor choice afterwards.

Besides, I am simply testing and evaluating, with scant influence on Triton's overall success with this propietary round.

The pistol is mine, the barrel is mine, the ammuntion is mine...after purchase at retail.

If I blow the P220 up, that's my problem; but I'll take an educated guess that the results will be very satisfying.

One thing's for sure...my test will actually be a test, not a prejudiced preconception like yours.

D

DeakonG

geez guys...calm down...at least you two agreed to disagree...is it just me or does it seem everyone is a bit testy lately...

G

WalterGAII

I've shot a bunch of .40 Supers through my G21. I don't have any opinion about the alloy-framed Sig, but I do know that, using a threaded, compensated Accu-Match barrel and a 22# spring, I have no problems with .40 Super.

.450 SMC has exactly the same dimensions as regular .45 ACP, and can be fired from any .45 ACP barrel, if you're shooting from a good platform with appropriate springs. I'd personally want a barrel with a real, screw-on compensator, for any of the really hot new cartridges like .40 Super, .45 Super, .450 SMC, etc.

I fired several thousand rounds of .400 Cor-Bon through my G21, before having one of my Accu-Match barrels reamed to .40 Super by Aro-Tek.

I'm currently reloading .40 Super, using a convoluted system of .400 Cor-Bon dies, along with a .45 ACP Lee FCD, for post-sizing.

Over a year ago, Triton promised a bunch of us on Glocktalk a free .40 Super "starter kit", including brass, ammo, and dies. So far, I've gotten everything but the dies, and they're supposed to be coming soon. I sure do hope so, as I'm going through a lot of tedium reloading with the system that I'm currently using.

.40 Super is a really accurate, flat-shooting round. JR, of Lonewolf, sells lots of .40 Super barrels, and uses .40 Super, shot through a G21, for hunting. Last season, he killed a large cougar, which died instantly, with one shot, said shot having first passed through a four-inch limb.

Zander

Thanks, Walter...

"I have no problems with .40 Super."

...I knew someone would show up sooner or later who had actual experience with the round. ;)

Are you chrono'ing your handloads? If so, what do they look like compared to factory ammo [which I assume you used at one time or the other]?

RE: the .450 SMC...

Does it use the Detonics case, too?

WalterGAII

I have chrony'd some of my .40 Super rounds. The factory ammo (135gr.) did pretty much what it's supposed to. Most of my reloads have been in the 165gr or 180 gr. weight bullets. I don't have much motivation to load 'em really hot, as I don't hunt with my Glock, but if I did, I'd probably pack a little more powder in. I'm using AA#7, with good results. I have had problems at the higher velocities, with plated bullets. I went to Montana Gold jacketed bullets, and the problems ceased. I was apparently getting some plating separation from the bullets, causing erratic accuracy.

Starline is going to be making the .450SMC, from scratch. They'll use either a small rifle primer or small magnum pistol primer. I have a threaded, compensated Accu-Match barrel, through which I've shot some .45 Super, and might try some .450SMC, when the brass is available.

For some reason, I like playing around with the bottlenecks, as opposed to the straightwalls that have the same dimensions as .45 ACP. One of the disadvantages of the bottlenecks, however, is that they won't feed from a true doublestack mag. I use a 10-rd., G21 mag, even when shooting .400 Cor-Bon through my G30.

Triton has a lot of info about the .450SMC on their website. Check 'em out.

JohnK

That's what I was thinking Denfoote, what's a 40 Super other than a short 10mm? Some of the other comments in the thread are making me thing that it's might also be another name for the 400 Corbon, is that right? A 45 ACP necked down to 40 caliber is that all the 40 Super is, or is it a ultra high pressure 40 S&W?

Correia

The .40 Super is a little different than the 400 Corbon, though they are the same kind of beast. If I recall correctly (which I might not) the .40 Super has a slightly longer case (same length as a 10mm I think), thicker walls, and runs safely at higher pressures. Its not just a .45 necked down.

And I think that it runs faster than the 10mm also. Ok, now no 10mm fans get offended. I happen to like 10mm also. I'm not going to try and argue which is better because I own neither, and if I owned one it would only be to play with.

V-MAX

hello...

from the triton site:

"The .40 Super will drive a 135 grain bullet to an unprecedented 1,800 feet per second while generating
less chamber pressure than the Winchester 9 X 23. With a 200 grain bullet, the .40 Super delivers more
foot/pounds of energy at 100 yards than the .45 ACP does at the muzzle."

muzzle energy for the round is 971 with the 135 grain slug... 200 grain is 750... not bad for a .45 acp platform...

regards... v.

JohnK

Interesting, I went and checked out Tritons web site about it at http://www.triton-ammo.com/40super.html

It looks to me like it's a 400 Corbon using heavier brass and loaded to higher pressures.

As a long time Sig 220 owner I'll be interested in hearing how it goes for you in your Sig Zander. I've been considering getting a 400 Corbon barrel for my 1911, but would consider getting a 40 Super for my Sig if it turns out to work well.