Anybody got a good load for 9mm 47gr lead?

Tacoma

Somebody gave me a 1000 heads of 147 gr lead truncated cone bullets to use up. I'll be shooting them out of a Rger SP 101 revolver so cycling is not an issue. I have W231, unique, Bullseye, Clays,red dot and blue dot handy. I'm looking for loads that will be safe and moderate in recoil/flash etc. Any experience /advice with these hevier lead heads appreciated.

kkb

According to my notes 3.7 gr of Unique should do it, but it's been a while since I've used Unique. This was a work up I did to get a practice round with similar ballistics to a 147 gr. Reminton Golden Saber

capbuster

I had good results using the recommended starting load for the 147 grain cast bullet and ww231 powder as used in my Browning hi power.

artbyaccident

my lyman pistol reloading book shows
147g lead spire flat tip seated at 1.058 OAL
using 1.9 g clays 669fps 21000 C.U.P.

2.8g clays max as a compressed charge
873 fps 31700 C.U.P.

your results may vary etc. etc.

Tacoma

Just to follow up for those that may need similar info at some point.
3.3 gr of W231 ( to OAL of 1.45)produced a deciently accurate , relitively clean mid-range load. Recoil was similar to the 115 gr Winchester White box fodder from Walmart.

After some experimenting, I found 2.3 gr of Clays to be the winner for accuracy. It also had low recoil, lower noise and shot POA in my 3" SP101. I still need to try this round in a semi auto to see how it cycles.

As always, I'm only indicating what I have done and not recommending them to anyone.