Anybody ever detail stripped their Ruger P90?

rantingredneck

And if you have can you walk me through it?

I just bought a Wolf 16lb recoil spring and it came with a firing pin spring. I was looking at the schematics for detail stripping the slide, but wanted to know if there's anything I need to know before I start, other than not to let any small springs and parts go flying across my dining room table?

It looks to me from the schematics that you loosen rear sight set screw, remove rear sight, remove plunger and spring from firing pin block, remove firing pin block, remove safety levers, detent plunger and plunger spring (that's where it seems to get hairy :confused:) and then back out the firing pin and firing pin spring.

Am I even close to being on track here?

Any special tools I need?

On a side note, do I even have to replace the firing pin spring when replacing the recoil spring?

Last edited:

MPanova

if it still goes bang when you pull the trigger I would not worry about it right now. If later on down the road you start getting some failure to fire because of lite primer strikes then you can throw the spring on. My P90 has somewhere in the ballpark of 40,000 rounds through it over 10 years and I have not changed anything yet. ;)

El Barto

Redneck,

I have totally stripped down my P90 before but I honestly can't remember what to do to get the firing pin spring out. I don't think I took any screws out of the rear sight, but it has been awhile. My advice, is to go sloooooow.

Oh, and anyone else get any comments about how loud thiers is?

I've had people stop and ask me what I was shooting, and they seemed surprised that it is a .45. They must have thought it was a Ruger .500 or sumptin.

rantingredneck

if it still goes bang when you pull the trigger I would not worry about it right now. If later on down the road you start getting some failure to fire because of lite primer strikes then you can throw the spring on. My P90 has somewhere in the ballpark of 40,000 rounds through it over 10 years and I have not changed anything yet.

Actually in the P90 the firing pin spring keeps the pin away from the primer not drives it forward. That's the hammer spring that would help with light primer strikes.

I also figured out the proceedure with the help of a THR'er. You were right BTW El Barto. No sight removal required. Remove extractor (push to the outside and pull forward with small screwdriver), pop out right safety lever turn and pop out left safety lever, catch firing pin as it shoots across the room :).

and Yes mine is loud. You should hear it with 260gr Speer SJHP's on top of 5.7 gr. of Win 231. You'd think it was a .454 Casull.

BlindFaith

Ruger P90 Complete Takedown

www.gunvideo.com

" Complete Ruger P Series Disassembly-Reassembly "
By: Lenny Magill - Item # X0010D - 40 Minutes in Length
Describes a Ruger P944 Decock Model
I have this DVD and I have a P90
" This information applies to all P series handguns "

This is the only thing I could find on the Ruger P series.
And, It's done very well.
Recommended.