Anybody else have a Mossberg barrel on an 870??

rantingredneck

Poor shotgun is so confused it doesn't know what it is........

DSC00747.jpg

I picked up a Mossberg made 870 barrel for one of my 870's today. Ordered it from havlinsales.com (good folks, quick shipping).

This 18.5" rifle sight cyl bore barrel replaced the 20" cyl bore bead sight barrel that I had on it. I also have a 28" Mod VR barrel for this one for dove season. Kinda looking forward to some wingshooting with this gun. With the 28incher on it, it swings real nice. In the meantime though I keep it in "repel boarders" configuration.

Have to do some pattern testing with it. See if it likes my Federal Flite control or Remington Managed Recoil loads. I expect it will do well enough with either. But half the fun is finding out right?

This gun is a real mutt of a shotgun. Has a Wingmaster TB receiver with an express buttstock (with Limbsaver) and police walnut forend. Now it's got a Mossberg barrel.

Anyone else have a Mossberg/Remington Mutt? :D

mwar410

that's funny, i was just looking at the moss breacher barrel, how do you like it? I was thinking of converting a 870 into HD.

rantingredneck

I don't personally intend to be breaching any doors (particulary from inside my house) but to each his own.....:D.

I like rifle sights on shotguns because I do a good bit of hunting with slugs and keep slugs handy as a tool in the HD toolkit.

The 20" Cyl barrel I had on this one was a plain barrel with bead directly on the barrel (no riser). I had to consciously remember that this gun tended to shoot high. Not a situation I particularly liked. I could have monkeyed with the fit of the stock to change that but then when I swapped out to the 28" VR it would be off again.

My other 2 870's wear Remington 20" RS barrels (one Remchoke, one IC fixed). The 11-87 wears a RS Remchoke barrel. Now this 870 wears rifle sights too.

Only odd man out of the HD setup shotguns is the Mossberg 500 with 18.5" bead sight barrel. I'm not switching it out though as it's one of the rare heavy wall accuchoke barrels. It shoots where I point it too. :D

rem870hunter

the rear sight on the mossberg barrel looks different from the remington barrel,and is set further back. what kind of adjustments do you have with the mossberg barrel? windage and elevation or only one?

rantingredneck

It is different. It's a folding leaf style rear sight. Fully adjustable. You can even reverse the rear blade for larger/smaller rear notch.

Not sure if it's any more or less robust than the remington sights. It's certainly got more moving/smaller parts to fail but it's dovetailed into the barrel where the Remington sight is silver soldered on. Not saying that the silver solder is bad per se.

One difference that's immediately apparent in this picture though is the difference in sight radius. The Remington barrel on the left is 20" the Mossberg barrel on the right is 18.5". The Mossberg barrel has a longer sight radius.

DSC00748.jpg

Not sure if that's going to necessarily translate into better slug accuracy but I'll find out soon......