Anybody Else Doing Ruger Revolver Only 45 ACP Loads

jtmckinney

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

I have read several threads about SP primer pockets in 45 ACP brass. I was fixing to post in the latest when I realized what I had to say wasn't an answer to the OP so I decided to start a new thread.

I separate the SP primer pockets during first inspection after the tumbler. We load LP primer pockets for my son's 1911, traditional 45 ACP loads.

I separated out the Fedreral (most SP brass was Federal), measured the volume using water and stayed under 100 % powder fill. This is a "Ruger Blackhawk Revolver 45 Colt ACP Convertible ONLY" load using 230 grain RN hard cast lead and AA#9. Getting velocity numbers in the 1200 to 1250 fps range and accuracy is better than I am.

Probably doesn't make any difference (case head is fully supported in a revolver) but small primer pockets should equal more brass in the case head area and may equal more strength. For sure higher pressure than 45ACP is designed for in it's traditional firearms. I also use magnum primers for this but again probably doesn't make any difference.

Recoil is right there with medium loaded 45 Colt "Ruger Blackhawk Only" loads and 250 grain bullets. No evidence of leading but the most I have shot in one session was 5 or 6 cylinders.

I clearly mark the lable on the box so not to get in the wrong firearm.

Is anybody else doing this or something simillar for this firearm?

Have a great day!
James

Last edited:

mmb713

I loaded some hot 45 auto loads for my Blackhawk a couple times. I had some old published data for N350 and Speer Gold Dots that was a lot higher than currently published data. I figured what the heck, you can't get enough powder in a 45 auto case to harm a Blackhawk. It was very hot. It was legal for deer. I'd have to look back through my logs to check it. I also loaded some 255 grain plated flat points ahead of Blue Dot before too. That was before I owned an auto pistol in 45 though. Now my Blackhawk is mostly shot with the 45 Colt cylinder and my 45 auto reloads go through my pistols. The only time I use the auto cylinder now is when I chronograph. I'd rather focus on not hitting the chronograph than worry about where my brass is landing. ;)

jtmckinney

Thanks for the responses.

checked Sirerras website and they do have loads for 45 ACP revolver loads. I might buy the Sierra manual. I don't feel I need another manual at this time and am comfortable with what I am doing but another manual could not hurt.

Any way I am gonna shut it down for the night, watch the rest of the race and keep track of the Rangers.

I will check back tomorrow.

Have a great evening!
james

jtmckinney

Sport45, I wouldn't bet your hand on it either. As I said in my second post I am comfortable with what I am doing.

With the website down I thought I would give this a bump and see if anyone else has a response and share some experience with this.

Have a great day!
James

Sport45

If you're using N350 (whatever that is, not a common powder in my circles) or AA9 you may not be able to fill the case enough to grenade a Blackhawk. But some may have read what I quoted as a declaration that you can't put enough of any type of powder in a .45acp to cause harm and I don't know if that's the case.

I chose to err on the side of caution. ;)

jtmckinney

Sport45, We are probably on the same page.

I don't think you could put enough H110 in a 45ACP case to hurt the firearm or shooter.

AA#9 (in my opinion) is a more powerful powder. I have been loading to 80% case capacity and getting all I want from this load and going to stop there. Probably could not hurt the firearm but not going to find out.

I am not sure about Unique, I have loaded it but stayed with the traditional 45 ACP book loads. I pushed Unique in 357 Mag also for a Blackhawk and was on the verge of getting pierced primers. I have heard it's pressure can be spicky.

The faster pistol powders I load with (40 SW) like 800X and Power Pistol could also probably be pushed to get the same performance. I haven't tried these yet. These would scare me if I tried to see how much I could get into a case. Ain't gonna happen by me!

I cannot speak for any of the faster powders like Bullseye as I do not have any experience with these but I am thinking these could be made dangerous in any firearm.

I have been enjoying playing with this cartridge in this firearm. I also like playing with the 45 Colt cartridge but that is another subject.

Have a great day!
James