Anybody besides me like to hunt with "obsolete" calibers?

lonegunman

I like 30-40 Krag from a Winchester 1895 for deer hunting. When I use that, always get a lot of jeers from "experts".

Nightcrawler

I don't see why.

A bullet is a bullet. .30-40 Krag worked for years and deer haven't gotten any thicker skinned since 1906.

Of course, some people seem to think you need the latest whiz-bang gizmos to accomplish anything.

I once saw a movie where a Texas Ranger took on about six badguys armed with Uzis and M16s, and all he had was a Winchester 94 carbine (I think it was in .45 colt) and a 1911. He won the gunfight because he aimed his shots while the badguys with their big scary assault weapons just sprayed bullets in his general direction.

I've hunted for a number of years with a .300 Savage in a 99 lever action.

I've been looking for an affordable one in .38-55 for years, but they're always $2,000 or more when I see them.

radom

I use a 25-35 win 94 from time to time. It seems to kill elk or deer just fine. Also a Mauser 11mm from 1887, It will probably kill almost anything you want to hunt.

Archie

Have to confess....

I've never shot a game animal with one, but...

My woods or "stalking" rifle is a short M94 Swede in 6.5x55.

And I have a .44-40 M92 (Rossi) that I think would be sufficient.

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
wow neat stuff.. in this age of belted magnums sometimes people look ath the 30-30 and 30-06 like they are "obselete" but as far as deer and elk and bears are concerned, dead is dead. I had a friend who hunted for years here with a borrowed sporterized enfield 303.

and funny looks? you should see the looks i get sighting in my slug gun in colorado.. but it works.

Dead

I have taken a 54cal percussion Sharps Carbine, into the field. It isnt considered a muzzleloader either so regular rifle season only with it :)

RJ McCormack

I must admit I've never blooded it but I love my Marlin 336CB in 38-55. And Mike Irwin, it's not an antique or a Savage but the price sure was right at just over $400.

Tom Matiska

Yes to the 307 question. I'm not sure I'd consider the 80's vintage cartridge obsolete. I would say it's lack of success in the marketplace was because a few million deer hunters are loyal to their "obsolete" 30-30's.

Tom

pepemarine

I´ve shot 10-12 deer with the 7.65 arg. and there´s only one kind of dead.

of the 25 or more deer I´ve shot none of them was shot at more than 200 steps and that reminds me that I will take my :30 WCF and my .303 british, next hunting season here in Old Mexico where the deer are in the desert.

yorec

.401 Powermag

I use a Herter's .401 Powermag when I take to the feild and want to use a handgun. Fairly close to a .41 Mag ballisticaly speaking and performs very well on deer. :D

Gewehr98

Heehee!

I've gone after whitetail the last couple years with my Remington Model 8 in .32 Remington, as well as an equally ancient Dutch Mannlicher Cavalry carbine in 6.5x53R. How's that for obsolete? (And I handload them, too, ever scrounge rare brass in the woods?)