Any value in a LLama VIII 9mm/.38?

Doyle

It looks like I'm going to be picking up a LLama VIII as part of a trade package. It is marked 9mm/.38 which ususally means 9mm Largo (although I think some marked that way were made in .38 Super). Are these good shooters? Collectors? Trade fodder?

Doyle

Llamas have a reputation for very spotty quality control.
I know that is true of the new generationof LLamas. However, my research shows the model VIII was made from the early 50's to mid 80's. That was before the original LLama sold out to the current owners.

rsxr22

a llama 1911 colt clone was handed down to me from my grandpa which was a replica of what he carried while in the military. The llama has no where near the tight tolerences say as my kimber, but it shot reliably for me. It really helps getting better mag's but i did have to get the extractor replaced, but it was a $30 fix and now it shoots just as consistently as my kimber and springfield

HisSoldier

If it is a good gun it's fine. I believe every maker sends out flawed guns, or guns with finish anomalies, occasionally. Llama just did it more often than others in my opinion.

On the dual stamped slide, "9MM 38" (That's what my Star A model is stamped) I found out that the barrel hood has a tiny bored area that allows a 38 Auto's large diameter rim to chamber all the way. That means it will also chamber 38 Super, though one may do some careful consideration on that, especially for a gun that has a reputation for poor quality control.

I found the load recommendations in the 9MM Largo website (http://www.9mmlargo.com/cartridge/loads.htm) interesting in that many of their loads exceed most commercial 38 Super performance! I deduced from that that some lower powered commercial 38 Super ammo might be safe in well maintained Browning system guns. Commercial 38 Super tests shown in one website (http://38super.net/Pages/Factory2.html) show Fiocchi and PMC being lower performance than many of the 9MM Largo loads shown in the other site.

I had 2 Remington Peters 38 Super rounds that were given to me, and since they were low in the tests as well I considered shooting them while I waited for my milsurp 9MM Largo ammo to arrive. Descretion prevailed in the end however, I did shoot them but only after removing 8 tenths of a grain of powder and reloading them.

I'm interested in any else's experience in this, My Star is very tight and new (Not fired since leaving the factory in 1968) and feels like it is capable of the pressures, but when I load my own Starline brass I'll probably creep up toward the higher loads.