Any valid reasons to replace a Kimber Custom Classic with a BHP?

Dogger

Thinking (just thinking) of trading a Kimber Custom Classic towards a NIB Browning Hi-Power. Curious to know if you think I am stupid or just plain nuts...

This is not for CCW, but could be pressed into that role if the incumbent, the Colt CCO, goes belly-up.

Thanks

M1911

Dogger: Yes, you are either nuts or plain stupid ;)

Don't sell the Kimber. For that matter, don't sell any gun -- you'll always regret it. I'm not saying that the HP is not a fine gun -- it is. So buy it. But keep the Kimber.

M1911

Stoic

I have always regreted selling or trading any firearm that I have ever owned. It's best to wait and save up to buy another firearm. However, if the piece is a lemon or doesn't sync with your shooting style then sell or trade away.

I don't care for the Browning Hi-Power. It doesn't sit well for a left handed shooter. Also, I've never liked the idea of carrying a BHP "cocked and locked" since it doesn't have the grip safety. However, it is a fine firearm. It handles the recoil of 9mm with ease because of its heavy frame. It's ergonomics are superior to the 1911 design. It is also more slender and conceals well. Good luck with your decision.

Clemmo

I traded my Kimber Stainless Classic for a Ruger #1-V in .22-250. I was glad to get rid of it. Had alot of problems with it, but I understand I'm in the minority. Everybody's allowed a lemon once in a while I guess.
I just did that 3 days ago. Can't wait to scope it and take it shooting!

Dogger

I have only put 100 rounds of hardball through the Kimber but it runs like a well-oiled machine. Slide did not go all the way into battery around round #60 but I won't fault a new gun for that.

Funny that GoodGuy mentions trading for a 22-250! I was thinking of trading towards a 260 Remington... or the BHP...

Time to go soak my head...

:)

Don Gwinn

Staff Emeritus
Only do it if you actually dislike the gun. I nearly traded my SIG220 for a USP when I found one. Now I know that would have been a mistake. Although ten rounds, super-strength and the ability to use condition one are nice, that particular USP will never be a match for my particular 220 for accuracy or comfort. Recently I thought about trading the USP for a Kahr K9 (who needs two .45's and no 9mm's?) but I came to my senses. If I still want a Kahr when I have the cash to buy a gun outright, I'll get it then. But I'd rather wait and have the Kahr AND the USP than lose the USP for an unproven gun.

Again, though, if you were looking at trades because you dislike the Kimber for some reason, all that goes out the window.

Ed Brunner

The biggest disadvantage with the HP is that with 18 rounds in it is pretty durn heavy. I wouldnt sell either. If the Kimber is any good it is slightly easier to conceal. I don't have a Kimber, so like a Glock, I have no experience with them.

Angus

BHP

I believe that Mr. Browning created the hi-power in 1935 as an improvement over his 1911 creation. I have a Kimber, and a Para-Ord. However, I find that I shoot my BHP 9 mm and .40 practical models more often and more importantly more accurately. Another factor is that there will be no more BHP's since there discontation in 1999. FN will directly import them, but Browning is out of the centerfire game now.

So make the trade and get a classic, and by John Browning own perspective --- a superior firearm/

RWK

Personally, I'd keep the Kimber

Both are excellent, high quality autoloaders. Some individuals will have a preference, however, the key questions would seem to be: (a) are you equally comfortable with both and (b) do you prefer 19 9x19 to 8, 9 or 11 .45 ACP rounds?

MPower

I don't think that I ould sell the Kimber, but if the two were put in front of me I would grap the BHP.

Jager1

Go ahead and own both.

I carry the same model Kimber daily and the BHP is a fine piece of machinery. If you don't already own a 9mm, you could then enjoy the benefit of less expensive ammunition with the 9x19mm.

How many rounds total through the Kimber and how is it performing for you?

grimel

If it is a Mark III swap. Who am I kidding, swap if you cann't have both. I'm left handed and carry a BHP compact clone. I find a 1911 to be thinner in the grip and thus slightly easier to conceal, but it could be a personal perception. The 1911 and HP with an ambi safety are equally well well suited for left handers. I DO like the idea of a mag disconnect/safety on a carry gun. My HP mag dis is intact and all mags drop free (ya just have ta know what to cut).

Torpedo

My advice would be to buy the Browning, but hold on to the Kimber. The Kimber can be sent to a good Smith if needs be to have the kinks taken out of it, if it has any. Then you'll have 2 guns that will both be good shooters. Just my slant on things.

Ed Brunner

If you compare the 1911 and the BHP you will see that the BHP is in many ways inferior to the 1911. There are similarities but the BHP is not an improvement. The idea that JMB did the BHP as an improvement is another urban legend.