any trap shooters here ?

More likely to find people here who trap animals than shooters. ;)

The last time I was loading a lot of shot shells, the Winchester AA's were still among the most popular. Cabela's has them once-fired for about $0.075 each.

jaguarxk120

Right now the shell of choice is the Remington, STS or Gun Clubs.

They are still compression formed one piece shell body. You will get the most reloads from each shell and crimps will be just like factory.

The Winchester AA shells are now made in two piece's and give some reloader's problems with wads not seating correctly.

When dumpster diving at the local public range the only shell I pick up is the Remington, keeping it down to one brand helps simplify the reloading process.

I just inventory two wads one for 12 gauge and one for 20 gauge. My loads are on the light side 7/8 oz. for 12 gauge and 3/4 oz. for the 20 gauge. Those lighter loading still break the clays and they are easy on the shoulder.

Jim Watson

Agree with Jag, the STS is now the best hull.
I loaded a lot of AAs back when they were one piece, but do not think the current crop of fabricated shells are as good.
I am not up to date on Federal GM, at one time they were good.

jaguarxk120

The STS case's have brass heads and it takes less effort when resizing.

Gun Clubs have steel heads and resizing effort is a bit more, other than that they reload the same.

springer99

I think the 12ga. hulls of choice for reloading are either Rem. STS or Gun Clubs or the Federal Gold Medal, depending on whether you like tapered wads or straight walled ones. I give the over-all nod to the Gun Clubs though as they're easy to pick up free for the asking at the ranges I shoot at.

I don't find any difference in loading the STS or GC hulls, especially for trap loads. You'll probably get 8-10loads from either hull without problems.

rebs

Can I load the STS and gun club with the same load and wad that I use for older AA's ? Will I have to change anything on my MEC 650 press settings ?

Average Joe

The Remington STS and Gun Clubs are the same hulls.(tapered) . The newer AA hulls that use a tapered hull are also good to go. Not sure about older AA hulls, they maybe straight hulls , and would require a different wad.

FITASC

The older Win CF hulls and the Rems are interchangeable - the NEW AAHS in 12 and 20 SUCK, the lengths are all over the place, the internal dimensions are smaller than the Rem and older Win CF

BigJimP

Remington STS hulls are your best option in 12ga....a lot more durable than the gun club.

Recipe --- double check it in an online manual like Hodgson / it may or may not be different.

In terms of press adjustments ...you will probably need to adjust the starter crimp and crimp stations...there is a slight difference in overall length of most of the old AA hulls and STS....but some of it will depend on your wad and powder selection.

1oz of 8's around 1200 -1225 fps is a versatile load for trap singles.....but a lot of shooters have gone to 7/8 oz or 3/4oz of 8's for trap singles. ( Very few shooters are still shooting
1 1/8 oz loads of 7.5's anymore )....but use current recipes...